Heavy water plant, Rjukan, Vemork.

LivNorway

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...on Norwegian TV now!

NRK2 kl.1525 Norwegian time;
British movie from 1965, with Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris; Heroes of Telemark.
It's the story about the Germans want the heavy water from Rjukan, Vemork in Telemark, Norway WW2.

If you are not able to see it on tv, then buy it, and watch it before you go to that area of Norway.

...and there are good gs-roads in that area too - now! :roll

:) Liv.

It was on British TV this afternoon.

First time i've actually seen the film and having visited the place last year I'd say that quite a few of the scenes were filmed on location, especially the ferry sinking at the end.

Went with a few other NW tossers last year.

BalticTour173.jpg

Didn't bother having a good look around the place , although 2 of the group did, but the ride North up the 361 from Orvella and then the lovely smooth fast 37 to Rjukan was well worth the detour.

BalticTourCyber072.jpg

BalticTourCyber082.jpg

BalticTourCyber088.jpg

Heroes of Telemark...!

Also check out Ray mears Real Heroes of Telemark, He retraces the steps of the Norweigian special forces from their training in Scotland to the attack on Vemork and later sinking of the ferry and escape into Sweden.

Its an amazing story with interviews with the surviving members of the Norweigian special forces team aswell.

When we went to Vemork the museum had just closed for the day and we had the entire place to ourselves we could wander where we liked. The old wooden walkway up the hydro water feed pipes was very interesting and a bit slippery and nail sick! The whole place was very atmospheric and a wee bit eerie in the mist and rain!

It's a fantastic area of Norway to visit.:thumb

The film and Mear's program were great, I like that story.... another WW2 classic.
Those chaps were hardcore.........:bow
I would like to take a look there, it's added to the list.

Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom