Help me help Thunder give up a nasty habit

Melanie Cheeks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right then, in an effort to get fitter and save some money towards this trip, Roger is aiming to give up smoking from midnight on 7th January (that's one year before they depart)

I've said I'll sponsor him to the tune of £1 a day - if he stays ciggie free for the whole year he'll have another £365 in the coffers (or should that be coughers...)

I'm sure he could do with any encouragement and support you can give!

Those of you considering giving up, have a look at the following, and try playing about with the stats if you're a male smoker over 50.

http://cvrisk.mvm.ed.ac.uk/calculator/calc.asp

Roger smokes??:eek: Can't say I ever noticed.......... NOT!

Good luck with it Roger, and sorry for all the grumpiness that you will be the butt of, Linda. (No pun intended )

I gave up myself 8 years ago yesterday, twasn't easy, but it can be done.

get to one of those local support group things the nhs run, meant to work well

Roger smokes??:eek: Can't say I ever noticed.......... NOT!

Good luck with it Roger, and sorry for all the grumpiness that you will be the butt of, Linda. (No pun intended )

I gave up myself 8 years ago yesterday, twasn't easy, but it can be done.

i found a novel way to give up.
cant say i recommend it though!!!!!!!!!
came out of hospital and never smoked again.damn shame i have never got fit enough to feel the benefits,but i am so glad i don't smoke
best of luck thunder in given up.:thumb
you know it make sense.:D:D

This makes me sooooo mad! I quit smoking for seven years. Got past being an ex smoker to the point of being a non smoker.................then had a row with our lass, who'd remained a smoker throughout, and grabbed her fags and started again. F*****g hate it. Want to stop again.

A bigger incentive would be to take his bike keys off him for that day if he smoked :D

After 2 zillion years of smoking I used the Nicorette inhalator thingies to stop and they worked very well for me.
Mind you I'm on 20 inhalators a day now.

PS The first bit is true and the last bit is a joke.

Here's the BEST TIP anyone can give

"You are not Giving Up anything! You choose to Stop Smoking!"

"You choose to stop smoking to enhance Your Lifestyle!"

Then weigh up advantages

Less Expenditure? Oops Nope You'll spend that on Bling!

Not Smelling Like an Ashtray? Positive

Sense of taste returns? Positive, You can enjoy food again, Downside take a while before you eat raw chillies again! Believe me that's the best idea, Oh and downtemperature your heat in curries!

Downsides? Can't enjoy a smoke wi yer mates in the Pub? Ooops forgot Yous smokers have tae go outside now? So that means yer health will improve vastly with not smoking and going out in the cold for a nicotine fix

Get Him The easy way to stop smoking by Alan Carr BUT the big point is Is he ready and willing to Stop???

Good Luck Roger I went from 12.5 grammes of rolley tobacco a day (occasionally more) to zilch and apart from a fortnight of being a grumpy shite haven't looked back, Yes an Ex smoker, 17th Nov 2004, Funnily enough just after I was off on the moby dick, from working in an extremely stressful environment!

Here's the BEST TIP anyone can give

"You are not Giving Up anything! You choose to Stop Smoking!"

"You choose to stop smoking to enhance Your Lifestyle!"

Then weigh up advantages

Less Expenditure? Oops Nope You'll spend that on Bling!

Not Smelling Like an Ashtray? Positive

Sense of taste returns? Positive, You can enjoy food again, Downside take a while before you eat raw chillies again! Believe me that's the best idea, Oh and downtemperature your heat in curries!

Downsides? Can't enjoy a smoke wi yer mates in the Pub? Ooops forgot Yous smokers have tae go outside now? So that means yer health will improve vastly with not smoking and going out in the cold for a nicotine fix

Get Him The easy way to stop smoking by Alan Carr BUT the big point is Is he ready and willing to Stop???

QUOTE]

:thumb +1

Allen Carr's EasyWay. I read that in a day, August Bank Holiday 2004 and have not smoked,nor wanted to since that day.
No grumpiness, no weight gain, and £5 A DAY better off!
And I'd smoke 20 Marlboro Reds a day for 24 years.

Good luck Roger. It can be done matey :aidan:D

Gaun yirsel Rodger mind I'll be keeping close tabs on ye:rob

I'll be off them too so don't be phoning me for support cause I'll probably:forry

Good luck buddy:beerjug:

Just to increase the financial pressure of not giving up the weed, I'll double my donation if Ms Cheeks donates the £365 :comfort

Good man John, yet another incentive!

I've tried this before and it won't be easy I know but I'm going for it and from midnight on the 7th I'll be an ex smoker.

Just to increase the incentive if anyone wants to add to the sponsor pot and I fall off the wagon I'll equal their donation to the cause!!!! :eek:

So come on put me under real pressure why don't ya!!! :JB

Like diets I used to stop smoking every monday morning.
Smoked like crazy on sunday until I'd used up all my fags. Monday came and I went out feeling good - no fags, better health, more money....by lunch I'd had my first smoke and it felt sooooo good.

Decided after a bad asthma attack to really, really try and stop. This time, though, I stopped on a thursday - weekend came and I'd already been a non-smoker for 2 full days :D

That was 16 years ago - not had one since or even wanted one since. My wife still smokes, outside, and the smell is a real turn off. :eek

Maybe if I'd saved the money somehwhere - at an average over the years of, say, £2.50 per pack...that makes about £14600!!!!!!:eek:

Sadly I didn't save any of the money :rolleyes:

If the money saved isn't enough to stop then I don't know what is.
Its not that you are addicted to the fags - its that it has become a habit, nothing more.
I used to reach for a smoke each time the phone rang - don't
I used to smoke as soon as I got into the pub - can't be done now

Break the habit, change the routine :thumb2

One point I missed......
I had a waistline of 32in when I smoked - I'm now on 38in!!!!!
Eat carefully :rolleyes:

I've tried this before and it won't be easy I know but I'm going for it and from midnight on the 7th I'll be an ex smoker.

:clap:clap:clap

I had a heart attack at 42 years of age.............. 'cos of smoking :eek

How's that for an incentive :D

Good on ya Roger, go for it :beerjug:

Andres

I too will be stopping on Monday when i go back to work:) so go for it Roger.

I have tried before and lost so i will stick £50 in the pot if you stay off the weed until the end of June, and another £50 if still off UM in December:D
Good luck and kick my Bum if i am smokin at Proffs do will yer please!

Lyn. PS: make a note of this and remind me.....getting old yer no:rob

My wife, the love of a lifetime, smoked. It took her three years to die of cancer of the oesophagus, she had smoked from the age of sixteen.

From walking the hills where my likkle legs couldn't keep up with her, to having to wait while she struggled along those same paths, to watch her having to have to be hooked up to, as we called it, the clanking machine, to pump liquid food directly in to her stomach through tubes, to watch her die at 3.10am one February morn, almost six years ago, as she finally gave in and breathed the last, dark blood pumping from her mouth, spurting, covering the bed, is a sight I'll never forget!

Smoking sucks....

I've already agreed to do one daft thing...

...so I'll be joining you in the collective "stoppping smoking on 7th January" attempt, sorry, decision.

The main problem for me is that I still enjoy smoking, and it's only costing me about £6 a week, although the benefits (of not smoking) are pretty obvious.

So, 59 and a half hours to go...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom