REAR WHEEL PLAY.

Smartbazza

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
HI ALL,
I HAVE A 1100GS WITH 23`000MILES IN IT AND WHEN CLEANING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WHILE NOTICED THAT IF YOU PLACE BOTH HANDS ON THE REAR WHEEL (ABOUT ABOUT 3 & 9 O`CLOCK POSITIONS) WHEN ON THE CENTRESTAND, THERE IS A VERY SLIGHT AMOUNT OF PLAY. IS THIS NORMAL? ANY IDEAS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Rear wheel play

Don't think so.

had my first MOT last week and it was mentioned as wear in the wheel bearing. Then spoke to another esteemed member (Colin Thompson) on Sunday who suggested that it was the bearing thingy in the drive shaft and it could/should be re-torqued at service.

There is a big lock nut on the inside rear end of the drive shaft and a recessed hex on the outside and it's alleged to be a fairly easy job. I've still to get round to studying the manual to see what is involved.

Anyone more technical with some more info?

Iain

IAIN,
THE BIKES IS DUE FOR A SERVICE IN 1000MILES, DO YOU THINK IT`LL BE ALL RIGHT TIL THEN. DONT WANT THE WHEEL FALLING OFF OR DAMAGING IT FURTHER! TIA BARRY.

Barrie, beware

There should be a certain amount of end float or else the bearing will run tight with a possibility of seizing up damaging the roller cage dragging out the oil seal, debris into the drive shaft. I know, it happened to me in the Czech Republic last year. Technically, I don't know what the correct figures are.

end play

Dont think its either. If the play is only @ 9 and 3 o,clock its the swing arm bearings needing adjusted. I have the same and according to manual it invlves removing large allen headed bolts which are lock tightened and require heat gun to break bond. Allthis before adjustment and re locking. If anyone has carried this out please post experience. PS I have no play @12 and 6 o,clock. This doesent seem to affect handling much as various sportsbikes up highlands will perhaps admit , even with dog on board. 36k gs1100 Brilliant bike.

Back
Top Bottom