Scotland to Finland (and back) advice needed

SpyInTheCamp

Reaction score
Is anyone able to suggest the ‘best’ way to get me and my bike from Scotland to Finland and back this summer (possibly late July or early August)? I am going to a place near Toijala - 45Km South East of Tampere.

I have around 6 to 8 days which will probably be midweek to midweek. Ideally, I’d like to take a ferry from the UK to Sweden or Norway but I can’t seem to find any details. Have they all stopped their services? I’d also prefer to avoid or minimise motorways and autobahns as much as possible.

Can you also let me know if it is OK to do ‘rough camping’ in Sweden or Norway? I can save a few quid by bringing a tent and camping for a couple of nights.

Any other good advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Kai

I think AndyT had a thread on here about a Scottish departure port over to Scandinavia, try a search.

Timpo.

Last edited:
It's beginning to look like Scandinavia has been cut off. :eek:

The best option was shaping up to be a freight ferry from Immingham (only 240 miles away) to Gothenburg then ride to Stockholm and get the ferry to Turku. But the ferries are more or less fully booked. :blast

This is turning into something of a pin in the @rse to sort out. I really expected to be faced with more options....! :(

Kai

Finland?

We're were looking at Harwich to Esbjerg then riding across Denmark into Sweden then riding up Sweden to visit friends in Skelleftea then on into Finland that way but its a bloody long ride.(We had visitors here at the farm last summer from Tampere:cool:)

It was so easy riding to Newcastle and getting the ferry to Norway, we've done it three times in the past and its a shame the ferry has finished!:blast

Hi, as for camping in Sweden there's a law called "Everymans right" you can camp anywhere for 2 nights, i believe you have to be 50m away from houses but as it's a huge country that's not an issue... I live in Stockholm but i'm a brit...
John.

Back
Top Bottom