clutch cable adjustment

bart2181

Reaction score
hiya,i,m in the process of adjusting my r1100gs clutch cable.at the lever end there is,nt any freeplay:confused:i,ve read somewhere that theres supposed to be 7mm,i know your supposed to have 12mm thread showing and adjust then at clutch end but its seized so what differance will it make if its adjusted at lever end so long has i,ve got 7mm freeplay any ideas

will it make if its adjusted at lever end so long has i,ve got 7mm freeplay any ideas

I can't stress how important it is to have free play on the clutch arm ( at the back of the gearbox), don't worry about getting precise measurements, just make sure you have some free play at the arm.

Having some play just at the lever is only giving you free play in the cable. If you've no free play at the arm you'll wear out your clutch superfast. It's the biggest cause of clutch slip that i see on bikes that arrive here with clutch trouble.:rolleyes:

I knew it was important, but wasn't exactly sure why and didn't want to jump in and confuse the issue - listen to Steptoe.

Not sure if you've already got it, but I've pdf'd the relevant page of the factory manual (attached to this post).

cheers
Matt

Attachments

• clutch.pdf
    108.3 KB · Views: 147
Hey Steptoe.

Where did the nice girl customer disappear? :drool:drool:drool

Pekka

well i,ll be having another bash tommorow,just soaked the adjusters in wd40 and i,m treating myself to a decent socket set,theres also a complete oil change coming up and a valve clearance and end float check and not forgeting throttle balance(should be fun) so don,t get going too far should incase i need some good sound advise:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom