High pressure cleaning

Pide

I'm new to bikes (got my license and 800GS in May) so this is probably a dumb question but is it OK to clean an 800 GS with a high pressure cleaner? The user manual says no but I was wondering if it was a real no-no or something that people do anyway.

If you keep it away from any bearing or electrical connector or paintwork or lacquered or rubber item you'll be ok.

Probably not though :tears

I've used the public ones at garages which in my view are not as strong as a Karcher. Like John says, steer clear of the bearings and electricals and lights. I once had to buy a new rear LED brake light on my Octavia Vrs because I got a bit enthusiastic with the jet wash.

I focus on the windscreen, rims, bash plate and under the rear wheel arch.

I keep my distance and don't focus it in one place for too long. Just general sweeping movements.

I've not had any trouble with this. I usually do this when it's really muddy and then at the weekend give it a proper hand wash. :thumb2

Pide....just use common sense and you'll be fine ;)

Not near bearings, electricals, seals, gaskets or anywhere that water obviously shouldn't be...they use water to cut through steel and a normal pressure washer can do a lot of harm if you're not careful.

Don't use it close up on anywhere that the paint surface is a bit dodgy either- it's easy to peel paint surfaces back.

I've always pressure washed my bikes and have had no probs- just use good old common sense :)

Pressure washing is great, but it can be a pain in the @ss!

My ex ORS bike has had the dubious pleasure of being pressure washed almost every day of its life - that means that whilst the visible surfaces are clean, the high pressure water jet can also squash fine (and muddy) spray into a lot of very small and inaccessible places .. The underseat area of mine is a prime example, there's a fine layer of dust that seems to be 'set' everywhere. It's not going to be impossible to clean, but to do it properly will be a plastics off job, most likely the tank too... that's if I can be @rsed to do it of course ...:D

Greg

i run a car dealership and use commercial karcher on my 8 all the time and have done since day 1, but then i bought the bike to ride it and not clean it incessantly. until last week my dad had a harley (changed for a new 1200RT a few days ago) and it was comedy coming back after a ride. he'd be there for ages at the chrome...i'm done in 5 mins. hose it and don't worry, it'll be fine. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom