From Fife to the Alps

Alun

Reaction score
OK, this is a new one for me. All my recent adventures have been to Scandinavia. Now that all the ferries have gone it is time to go to the Alps. I am expecting to use the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, stay in hotels and see some amazing mountains and passes. Any suggestions. Oh I have two weeks from start to finish

Using the links posted by Alun just pick 2 areas you fancy seeing. Use a base hotel in each area and get to know that area fairly well. 4 nights or so in each. Then use the rest of the days to travel to/from the port via scenic roads rather than blasting 600 miles in one leg. Eiffel Mountains/Mosel and the Black Forest areas are worth popping into on your way to/from the Alps.

If you go later than the 3rd week in June then you will almost guarantee that the higher passes are open.

Since 1995 I've made several trips through the Alps from their western edge in France to the Julian Alps in Slovenia. My favourite areas have been: Julian Alps, Austrian Tirol and Lake Garda where the Alps meet the Dolomites.

The Alps cover a vast area, horizontally and vertically.

alps_en.gif

Wessie gives good advice. Work out where you want to go and why.

Subtract the days to get there from home and the days to get back, that will tell you how long you have in the alpine region. Remember that you might like one day (or more) off the bike, so factor that in, too.

Hotels? Routes? There are hundreds or thousands, depending on where you want to go, for how long and how much you want to spend. The assorted threads in the Travel section / Ride reports will give you some good suggestions. A very good book to look at / buy is:

61J8DKRVV5L._SS500_.jpg

It will tell you everything you need to know.

A couple of good maps and a bit of imagination.....BINGO! Job done.

what can I say

I a new to this forum and this is just the best - lots ot read. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom