Garmin Oregon 400t - thoughts?

mherkin

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my satnav (Nuvi250 which I hate, unless you want to buy it, of course, in which case its really good) but also including a GPS for general out and about stuff.

I've been looking at the Garmin Oregon series. I'm not sure I want the audio (in the car we tend to switch the sound off) and want to be able to transfer it from the car to the bike to the rucksack. I think I can live with the crap screen brightness as in the car and on the bike it will be plugged into the mains (if I can get a mini-USB to GS accessory socket lead). There is a RAM mount for it for the bike. The touch screen will be useful with gloves and the unit is waterproof so I don't have to worry about that.

I think I need to add in the City Navigator maps for Europe (probably on DVD so I can use my own mini-SD card) and possibly add in the Australian ones for a trip later in the year. I can manage the maps with the Mapsource software once I have these maps. I should wait for a week or so to see what Garmin UK do about lifetime updates for these maps (released 21Jan in the US). What is the latest version of the Europe maps I should be looking for?

Have I missed anything? Or should I be looking at something different?

Thoughts appreciated and where the best place for buying it if anyone has recommendations.

The latest mapping version is called city navigator europe 2009 NT which the oregon would use.

Thanks for the map info. I'll just have to see whether the Oregon is going to work for me...

I think I can live with the crap screen brightness as in the car and on the bike it will be plugged into the mains (if I can get a mini-USB to GS accessory socket lead). There is a RAM mount for it for the bike.

You can get the power leads that you want here for the Oregon http://www.locatis.eu/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=26 (Portugal)

I have my Garmin Colorado 300 set up on one of my bikes with their leads and the screen brightness is much brighter connected by mains than from the internal batteries. I purchased various products from them and find their service very good :thumb

Hi Guys .....was thinking about using the Oregon satnav to...(useful for walking and mountain biking to) ....have you used them successfully now the bike??

all best
a.

Back
Top Bottom