640 Adventure VS 640 Adventure R

essjay

Reaction score
Fancy myself one of these bikes as a second bike to my GSA. I've seen a few listed for sale with some being the "R" version.

What exactly are the differences between the standard and "R" versions?

I've looked online but can't seem to find any info.

never heard of any difference since they replaced the 640 engine back in 2003 i think,

The old engine is black and the later ones were grey - a number of parts were changed etc but other than that they have remained the same since about 2003.

Get one with the grey engine as they are the latest models, over the last few years they have made very minor changes but nothing to shout about.

Ktm didnt massive change the 640 Adventure over its relatively long existence since the 1998. Most changes were engineering improvements or cosmetic/functional. ie tank size varied a little over the years. The later the better is generally right except if you want some specific model year feature like RWU forks? or the largest tank .
The was also a Dakar Works version sold to rally teams not generally available to the public unless you were a rally raid privateer. These are usually a bit too dear to consider as an alternative to the std road adventure.

Talk to Swampy Marsh - At Marsh Performance Engineering 01752 844456.

What he doesn't know is worth knowing. He would have pointed you to the '98 or '99 640 with RWU 50mm dia forks, like he did me. I no longer have my GS, but I do still have my 640 ....

Back
Top Bottom