how to switch the display from miles to km

C44

Reaction score
I know I read somewhere on this site a post on how to switch the display from miles to km but just can't find it. Somebody could point me to the right post or give the instructions again. thanks.

gee I am pretty sure I read on that site some time ago somebody explaining a procedure, there was something like disconnecting the battery and then when connecting again pressing pushbuttons... I said to myself "interesting info", and now that I have the bike, can't find it... what do they do with the old archives on the site, are they erased after a certain time?
claude

I think it's just pushing some buttons in sequence.....but not in the manual........a call to your dealer would probably point you in the right direction :thumb2

On the Xchallenge its like this ..

disconnect battery
turn ignition on
hold down mode key
keep mode key pressed and connect battery power
digital display will go through one digital reading
the next two readings (on mine) were kmh and then mph, when you see the new reading you want, release mode key.

So I guess its something similar...

Paul

Use the GPS

Keep bike in mph and use GPS to switch between mph and kph, which is what I do when abroad - sorry if its stating the obvious !! :green gri

Paul with the xchallenge, how on earth did you find that out ??? :thumb2
Who is so brave and tries it out on a 1200 GS/A?

BMW Germany said there is no "end users" way to change it from miles to km when I asked them a few weeks a go.
The guy on the phone didnt say I shall go to the dealer for a reprogram either, he just said live with it...

On the Xchallenge its like this ..

disconnect battery
turn ignition on
hold down mode key
keep mode key pressed and connect battery power
digital display will go through one digital reading
the next two readings (on mine) were kmh and then mph, when you see the new reading you want, release mode key.

Seeing as my F650GS was stripped down with the battery exposed I tried the above using the 'info' button as the mode key. Couldn't tell whether it worked or not as the individual displays (speed, fuel consumption, etc) were of course blank. And as the bike currently cuts out every time a gear is selected there's no way of finding out.

Tim

Paul with the xchallenge, how on earth did you find that out ??? :thumb2
Who is so brave and tries it out on a 1200 GS/A?

BMW Germany said there is no "end users" way to change it from miles to km when I asked them a few weeks a go.
The guy on the phone didnt say I shall go to the dealer for a reprogram either, he just said live with it...

I got it off the ADVrider site - I bought my XC in France and changed it over when I brought it back to the UK.

Paul

Assuming you just want to read the trip computer info in miles, this can be done with the current (beta) version of the GS911.

I should have the answer this week. I talked to the tech at Ruta 40, a BMW dealer in Medellin, Colombia where I will stop in a few days, and he said he will do it for me. I'll report back.

only the computer

well today the dealer in Medellin (Ruta 40, who are great guys by the way, all the overlanders stop there) told me you can change it manually only on the G series. On these F the only way to do it is through the service computer, as they are doing it right now...

well today the dealer in Medellin (Ruta 40, who are great guys by the way, all the overlanders stop there) told me you can change it manually only on the G series. On these F the only way to do it is through the service computer, as they are doing it right now...

If they're anything like the UK dealers they tell you everything needs to be updated on a service computer whether it does or doesn't :augie

yes I understand but it doesn't look like these guys would do that, no interest with a passer-by biker. he told me about the procedure outlined above on the x-challenge but the computer of the F800 operates differently I suppose. They had to change all the units one by one manually in the computer. when they had finished they forgot the temperatures, I had still the degrees in farenheit, so had to plug again to change it to celsius. It was not a single operation changing all the imperial units to metric.

Changed my FID from miles and miles to the gallon to km and liter/100km on the 2007 GSA today. It had to be done at the dealer with the computer. It took the time of "three work units" = 16 Euro while the bike had been at the 10.000 km service.

I got mine change from imperial to metric when I moved to Singapore. Dealer did it, along with a post-shipping roadworthiness inspection for free.

Hi, saw your note about Singapore. I may be moving there myself later this year. Did you ship your bike over there? I am wondering what the duty/taxes are on importing a used bike. I know for cars it is very expensive.

Hi, saw your note about Singapore. I may be moving there myself later this year. Did you ship your bike over there? I am wondering what the duty/taxes are on importing a used bike. I know for cars it is very expensive.

'Expensive' is all relative. For me, it worked out considerably cheaper to import my own F800GS than to buy one locally. Singapore cost of a 800GS is around £13,500.

I did a lengthy blog post about the import process and costs involved here

Might find some useful information at http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/index.php

Hope that helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom