Info, Fiches and routes for the gang

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Eyup Johnny- Finally found the info I promised you......it was on an old hard drive from my previous machine and I couldn't plug thatinto this newer machine 'cos it's the wrongsort of HD connection :blast

Anyway.......here 'tis.

Bear in mind this is all old info- the GPS info in particular should only be used as a guide as always, but it may help :)

This first file is a Fiche (Feeesh!!) and it's essential!!

(ok, they won't shoot you without one but not having one will set you back many hours over the trip)

All of the riders in your party will need to fill one in...do it on the PC rather than by hand so it's totally clear, then print off between 30 and 40 each.

From Tan Tan south, you'll be stopped by lots of police checkpoints- they all want to know the ins and outs of a gnats arse and all you do is present a fiche each and they get all the info they want with no fuss.

If anyone's taking a laptop or a usb stick with them, copy either the blank fiche or one of everyone's completed fiche onto it just in case some muppet drops his envelope of paperwork in a puddle ;)

It can also be a good idea if you're riding in a group to get one person to collect together a set of fiches from each person x5 so rather than having to leave the bikes and submit them all seperately, one person can deal with the whole thing by giving in a fiche for everyone.

PSthis is't an official document so you can muck it about and reformat it in any way, producing it as an a5 doc if you want or whatever.....as long as all the info's there, you're sorted.

Last comment...before you go, agree on some simple ground rules about what you say so that everyone's singing from the same hymn sheet.....they'll ask you where you've come from and what hotel you're going to...we always say 'Fes' and 'Hotel Fes' 'cos it's piss easy to spell and remember, and the hotel does exist.

If each person tells them something different, it can lead to all sorts of complications if they want to get awkward :)

Attachments

• Fiche.doc
    25 KB · Views: 133
Next up....map of the Banc D'arguin, a very large nature reserve that you'll pass through if you take the classic western Sahara off-road route.

You'll have to pay for a pass to go through and that pass is only valid for a very small number of days- you can get this in Nouadhibou (mad max city!)

You don't HAVE to accept a guide BTW, and if you do it'll cost you up to 400 euros depending on how good you are at negotiating......a lot of the guides also do their best to get vehicles stranded so they can come back in their L200's a few days later and scoop them up and sell them in Nouadhibou or Nouakchott.

We didn't take a guide :)

PS this map is old....probably 7 or 8 years.

Attachments

• carta-banc-darguin.jpg
    carta-banc-darguin.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 263
Right...here's the gold.......the route across the Sahara ;)

There are some small sections (up to a mile IIRC where my Quest lost power and we didn't notice- and the rouutes through the border section change often, so use common sense there....follow the local's 4x4's (cat-cat's :) ) through that section and you won't go wrong.

Don't wander off the tracks....there's a ruddy great minefield :D

I'll dig out some maps and come back to this to explain a bit more, but there's some bits that cross long sections of road where the wp's are a long way apart....follow the tarmac there....then at point tits008 it's Nouadhibou campsite I think......

There's a whole new tarmac road there now, thinking about it....when we did it, it was a piste....so follow your nose and the tarmac.

Where the route splits, I'm pretty sure one is the published route that crosses the Sahara and the other one is the actual track of the classic Western Sahara piste........you'll see there's a WP for 'Bill's Leatherman'.....if anyone finds it, please bring it back- it's in the sand somewhere within 30 feet of that waypoint :blast:D

YOU'll also see that for the first bit, there wp's are not to close together.....up there, there are many tracks and they are big and open and easy to follow.....then further down it gets a bit tighter where there are some nasty sand traps if you get it wrong.

You'll have three massive sand dunes to get over......we're talking a mile long and several hundred feet tall :D

There's also a point where you have to leave the beach piste and go up a sand hill to get round a section of very very soft stuff......I think that's at point 196 but I can't be sure :)

When you get to the village and the route actually goes onto the beach (I can't remember the name of the village offhand) do what the locals do ........wait until the tide is right.

If there are people waiting near the beach entry point in 4x4's, don't just go....the tide comes right up to the dunes along some sections and there's no way out.....you have to time it right so ask the locals:thumb2

There are lots of other tracklogs around BTW....spend some time googling them and looking at various overland travel sites, and FFS make sure you get Chris Scott's book and TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!

HINT.....look up 'Plymouth Banjul challenge' and variations on that search string......

Enough waffle.....

Don't take this log for granted...it's 4 years old and things change, but it may be of use to you :)

Attachments

• CUETA BANSANG actual.gdb
    131.1 KB · Views: 126
Mori Visa Application letter.

Google it though...you did used to get them from the Embassy in London and they came back in two days flat...you can (could) also get them in Rabat but get them before you go if you can to save fekkups.

Can't remember how much they were....£42 rings a bell though :)

Attachments

• MoriVisa.doc
    27 KB · Views: 99
Mostof the other files I've got will be useless now....the atlantic route fuel stops was out of date the first time I did it and there was far more fuel available the second time only twelve months later so there's no point in posting that.

IIRC the longest section without fuel (the actual crossing itself) was 320 miles....look into that though, things will have changed a lot.

Oh, and 320 miles is really 400 in consumption terms ....don't forget to take into account how hard the bikes will work in that section. :)

I've got a copy of the Plymouth Banjul roadbook dating back five years that I'll email Johnny seperately...it's too big to attach......it may be of some use.

You should also trawl through Horizons Unlimted for a lot more info :thumb2

Thanks Fanum, good info :thumb2

IIRC the Mori visas are now issued by the French embassy are they not?

As an aside, I picked up "This Mercedes is not for sale" at the airport a couple of weeks ago. The guy was driving down from Holland in an old merc to sell it dow there. Made some interesting reading to get a flavour of the trip.

Great stuff BGT:clap :clap :clap

Mucho appreciated the rest of the team owe ye a drink:beerjug:

Cheers me boy.

I have never done anything like this but am willing to offer my services in route planning etc. let me know

My mail is
monro@tinyonline.co.uk
numbers
01358 789 423
07905 966 188

Top class William much appreciated :thumb

Ar you coming to Ireland for any of the meets this year BTW a :beer: or two will be waiting :aidan

I'd love to Roger.....I'd like to bring Rosie across but it's not looking too likely at the moment :(

It can also be a good idea if you're riding in a group to get one person to collect together a set of fiches from each person x5 so rather than having to leave the bikes and submit them all seperately, one person can deal with the whole thing by giving in a fiche for everyone.

My idea of heaven! :D

Thanks for all the info, Bill. :beerjug:

Right...here's the gold.......the route across the Sahara
Excellant information, Thanks Fanum.

I am commited to this trip so this kind of info is brilliant, I have done a few road trips in Europe, but nothing like this before.

Are there folk in the group who have done this before and will be able to offer advice? Or do I need to ask a raft of questions on the forum about
visa's
bikes
clothing
off road training
innoculations
fuel levels
spares
tyres. etc,etc,etc.

I am commited to this trip so this kind of info is brilliant, I have done a few road trips in Europe, but nothing like this before.

Are there folk in the group who have done this before and will be able to offer advice? Or do I need to ask a raft of questions on the forum about
visa's
bikes
clothing
off road training
innoculations
fuel levels
spares
tyres. etc,etc,etc.

There are those going who have done this before, and the intention is to compile a Calum's Road for Dummies dealing with some of the issues you've mentioned. :thumb

What you want to know about bikes?:augie

Cheers Fanum...that's really great info.

If I ever get to meet you I'll get you a drink in!

visa's
bikes
clothing
off road training
innoculations
fuel levels
spares
tyres. etc,etc,etc.

Most of the factual stuff is out there already......on threads already here or on Horizons Unlimited........It's definitely worth a good search there in particular then if there are things you still need I'm sure people will give you opinions ;)

TBH though part of the whole thing for most people is learning as you go.....if you plan beyond the basic level on a trip like this, a lot of your effort will be wasted as soon as you have to change plans....and believe me, you WILL have to change plans :thumb

Make sure you have the basic info so you're not skeeered of going and so you're not putting yourself (or others in the team) in danger then just go with an open mind and enjoy it :beerjug:

It's not a holiday, it's an adventure ;)
:JB:JB

Cheers Fanum...... I have printed your road book off and am going to leave it lying on my desk in work, just to let the guys there see what they are missing :eek:

Back
Top Bottom