Advice Needed: Garmin Quest for National Three Peaks

Dave Ford

Reaction score
Hi All

I could really do with some advice from someone who knows about these things…

In November last year a friend in his early 50s, Alan, died of lung cancer. Later this year his widow and three friends will attempt the National Three Peaks in memory of Alan. On the basis of my superb physical condition and outstanding fitness I have been nominated as driver. I also agreed that I would “sort out” how Alan’s Garmin Quest worked and load the necessary routes into it and then ensure that everyone involved knew how to use it. I regard myself as a competent navigator and have no fears about using a satnav.

I’ve loaded Mapsource and “City Select”. However having looked at Snowdon it appears that using this software for navigating up a mountain is a non-starter. Is the answer to obtain a Mapsource map specifically prepared for hill walking (trail riding?), if such a thing even exists? Is it the case that I’m wasting my time and would be better of investing in Silva, decent OS map and head torches, or is there another solution?

Any advice gratefully received.

Dave

This the information you need:

Maps required for the 3 Peaks

Ben Nevis - O.S. Explorer No.392 Ben Nevis & Fort William (1:25,000)
Scafell - O.S. Explorer No_OL4 English Lakes (1:25,000)
O.S. Explorer No. OL6 English Lakes (1:25,000)
Snowdon - O.S. Explorer No_OL17 Snowdonia (1:25,000)

JB

There is a UK topographical map available for Garmin units...it's very good (all the detail of an OSmap) and although it doesn't autoroute, you can set up a route in Mapsource and then follow the pink line on the unit very easily.

I have two copies but both of them are buggered....the discs are scratched :blast:mad:

Got mine free with my Garmin Rinos :thumb2

There is a UK topographical map available for Garmin units...it's very good (all the detail of an OSmap) and although it doesn't autoroute, you can set up a route in Mapsource and then follow the pink line on the unit very easily.

I have two copies but both of them are buggered....the discs are scratched :blast:mad:

Got mine free with my Garmin Rinos :thumb2

that Topo software is really expensive whenever I have looked!! £130+ - never seen it cheaper!!

but some maps...

If the Quest is only to confirm where you are / where to go, couldn't you make a route in Mapsource using off-road preferences and have "waypoints" at significant places along the path? And check against Google Earth that it goes where you want / avoids waterfalls, cliffs etc.

Then set the Quest to navigate off-road and Robert is your Fathers brother!

And have the mountain tops, pick up, and drop off points also in as Waypoints, so that you could "route to" if you don't like the pre-planned route.

GPX routes for the three peaks are here. Some other good info here, suspect you've already got it though.

Of the three Scafell is likley to be the worst one. Both Snowden and Nevis are easy to navigate to the peak. Even with a GPS i'd be taking a map and compass.

Back
Top Bottom