UFO tyre changing rig

earthmover

opinionated, me?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/products/ufo-tyre-changer/

As per the link.
I have always changed my own tyres, but two things caused me problems. Breaking the bead on the GS tyres, and fitting mousses to the off road bikes. I promised myself that if Christmas left me with any spare cash, I would treat myself to a tyre changer/ bead breaker/ mousse board.
Using the above contraption, I fitted a front mousse to my 640, and changed the front tyre on the GS, all in less than an hour, and without breaking sweat!
Comes complete with three tyre levers, a tub of tyre lube, and a tub of "mousse lube". There is also an instruction DVD, but as it's all in Italian it's not much help!
Mark

Am I to presume that flying saucers have the same wheel sizes as GS's ?

Think I need one of those after struggling for an hour to break the bead on my AT last week:mad:

Tim - you know where there is one now if you need one.

Adventuring Bear - No danger of scratches, the bead breaker and the wheel supports are plastic. The way I swing tyre levers is likely to leave marks, but I'm sure it could be done more carefully :augie. My rims are already scratched to feck from beaking the bead with a bench vise previously.:eek
Mark

Have you got a bigger picture, a silvery thing on a gray blue and red backgroung with a big yellow blob in the middle of it all just doesn't work for me these day :(

Val.

http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/products/ufo-tyre-changer/

As per the link.
I have always changed my own tyres, but two things caused me problems. Breaking the bead on the GS tyres, and fitting mousses to the off road bikes. I promised myself that if Christmas left me with any spare cash, I would treat myself to a tyre changer/ bead breaker/ mousse board.
Using the above contraption, I fitted a front mousse to my 640, and changed the front tyre on the GS, all in less than an hour, and without breaking sweat!
Comes complete with three tyre levers, a tub of tyre lube, and a tub of "mousse lube". There is also an instruction DVD, but as it's all in Italian it's not much help!
Mark

Sorry Val, can't find any others, but at some point in the very near future I will be changing my rear tyre, so I'll take some photos of it then for you. :thumb
Mark

Think I need one of those after struggling for an hour to break the bead on my AT last week:mad:

Timo -a wee one like this is fabulous (light too & made by a member of this parish ) and saves a great deal of grief if you change your own.
Used on my 1200 and F650Dakar:thumb2

Attachments

• BEAD2.JPG
    BEAD2.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 610
Here - see p60, click on image to zoom

Greg

:bow Thank you Greg,
I like that!

Its much easier to see what they are selling.
I would have thought it would be useful to have a longer central post. You would be able to use one of the longer leavers that feed the bead over the rim then, making it a whole lot easier and quicker.

Where do you get one of them from?

Any DIY store will be happy to sell you a large 'G' clamp. Thread it between the spokes and over the rim then do it up, therefore compressing the tyre, breaking the bead :thumb2

Val.

:bow Thank you Greg,
I like that!

Its much easier to see what they are selling.
I would have thought it would be useful to have a longer central post. You would be able to use one of the longer leavers that feed the bead over the rim then, making it a whole lot easier and quicker.
Val.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean. :nenau
There are a number of different centre posts of differing diameters, but all of the same length. There is a couple of inches stuck through when the wheel is in position. Using the long levers isn't a problem.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom