Connecting Garmin Quest to an F800GS

R80GS_basic

Reaction score
I have a Garmin quest that i power through power plug on the left of the ignition with a Touratech cable. Now i just got from BMW the OEM connector to the CANBUS (see http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138797) and i would like to use this cable to power the Quest, leaving the cigarette power socket free.

The problem is that - differently from my previous Garmin V, which could be powered with any voltage up to 36V - the Quest requires a voltage regulator, which is already included in all the original cables (as well as the touratech one).

So I am seeking advice, if anyone has done this already and connected the Quest directly to the battery or to the CAN BUS.

many thanks!
gianluca
------------------------------
www.gianlucamarucci.com

I have a Garmin quest that i power through power plug on the left of the ignition with a Touratech cable. Now i just got from BMW the OEM connector to the CANBUS (see http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138797) and i would like to use this cable to power the Quest, leaving the cigarette power socket free.

The problem is that - differently from my previous Garmin V, which could be powered with any voltage up to 36V - the Quest requires a voltage regulator, which is already included in all the original cables (as well as the touratech one).

So I am seeking advice, if anyone has done this already and connected the Quest directly to the battery or to the CAN BUS.

many thanks!
gianluca
------------------------------
www.gianlucamarucci.com

I fitted an auxilary fuse box under the 'tank' panel just behind the ignition switch, partially over the battery. Wired the Quest to the fuse box.... no probs. The mounting I made myself using the normal Quest mount.

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Centech fuse unit.jpg
    Centech fuse unit.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 327
I fitted an auxilary fuse box under the 'tank' panel just behind the ignition switch, partially over the battery. Wired the Quest to the fuse box.... no probs. The mounting I made myself using the normal Quest mount.

Micky, thanks
have you used the original quest mount and cable? if so how did u connect it to the CANBUS cable connector? - the one showed in the link in my original mount.

The original mounts and cables have the tension regulator "embedded" somewhere along the cable: for example the car mount has it in the power/audio socket at the end of the cable.

ciao
gianluca

The Vreg chipset in the Quest car charger was AFAIK, limited to 50 deg C temp range whereas the Vreg chipset in the Garmin bike holder (they called mount) was incorporated into their cradle and the Vreg chipset was rated at 125 deg C. Similarly, The RAM GA15 cradle used QPAC which was an encased unit, also Vreg chipset pcb, also 125 deg C rated which formed part of the mount behind the cradle. Touratech offering, I cannot comment upon. I am aware that the car charger can be attached to the RAM GA15 cradle and secured by the Torx, so you remove the car charger from the car cradle, but realise the differences of use, in colder climate and in summer the car unit may perform without problems, venture south and its hot, then you can expect problems.

Tests on QPAC as I recall were 33 deg C sun/heat outside, created 90+ deg C inside the Vreg casing.

Micky, thanks
have you used the original quest mount and cable? if so how did u connect it to the CANBUS cable connector? - the one showed in the link in my original mount.

The original mounts and cables have the tension regulator "embedded" somewhere along the cable: for example the car mount has it in the power/audio socket at the end of the cable.

ciao
gianluca

I didn't wire to the canbus cable connector... but wired direct to the aux. fuse box shown. I like to be able to use/play with the gps with the ignition off. I used Givi screen mountings to mount the Quest to the handlebars :eek:

Ciao

Attachments

• GPS mounting.jpg
    GPS mounting.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 275
No that's in the middle... I meant on the other side of that :D :D

'twas an attempt at (t)wit, how many sat navs do you need?

Sorted :thumb

errr mmmm two :nenau

My Navigator II+ packed in in Siberia (jet washed by the Omsk bikers club) leaving me to navigate the Altai Mountains of Mongolia with an old Silva walking compass... at night. I didn't like that very much :eek:

The Quest has the 'World Map' in it for when I leave Europe...

Walking the streets of Almety, and many other places, with the Quest, I can find my way back to the hotel, cos it's pocket sized ... it's kept charged up on the 'bike, has its own battery, the Nav III+ doesn't!

I rode the Atlas mountains of Morocco last October with the Topo maps downloaded in to the Quest, shows all the roads, tracks and piste's, but rode down through Spain to get there using the Nav III+

That's alright then. If the truth be told I had four until this morning, the Quest was posted off to an eBay buyer. The only one on the bike is now a 2720, the i3 the Mrs uses and TomTom Navigator on the phone is emergency back-up for car and bike.

The Quest was a great unit but had to go :(

Back
Top Bottom