G450X steering bearing failure - water ingress.

Timpo

North Wales TRF
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Lower steering head bearing has failed. Water ingress has caused corrosion on the lower bearing.
The sealing on the bottom of the head stock is poor.
I'm going to do a mod which includes fitting a cap (#4) and o-ring (#7) under the lower bearing. The cap will be fitted upside down and
have the folded edge machine back slightly to clear the headstock frame weldings, and three small drain holes drilled to prevent water build up.
I have drilled the headstock and fitted an M6 grease nipple.

NB. The OEM parts diagram is not in the correct assembly order, nad the lower 'seal' is not shown on the diagram nor in the bill of materials.

Timpo.

Attachments

• 270.png
    270.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,167
Timpo,

Any chance you could take some photographs, if it looks OK you could pop round and do mine:):)

What a crap OEM diagram if its wrong!

Did some machining today and fitted the lower bearing race. Found that the upturned cap is too big and there is no contact with the lower o-ring, so I have machined it further to 61.5mm od. This has been fitted on the steering spindle and the inner race of the lower bearing has been mounted on top of the cap. The clearance from the cap to the outer race is 3mm and I have a 55x3.54 o-ring so the interferance will create the seal.
The top of the the steering headstock will be assemble as standard, then the void will be filled with grease.
I'll post some pics asap.
T.

I agree that its the best fix, but :eek:will that not then invalidate any warranty claims on the bike??????????:eek:

I agree that its the best fix, but :eek:will that not then invalidate any warranty claims on the bike??????????:eek:

So what's the answer, every 50 hours put the bike in for steering head bearing arrangement replacement....... DTS!

The front end was built up this morning, and it went together a treat. The machined washer has just enough clearance inside the headstock tube and the oring had plenty of compression to create a seal.
I have notified my dealer who has asked for some pics of the failure and what i have done with the assembly.

The o-ring was £0.11 and the washer I machined was £2.40, so it is a real f*ck up of a design, I think BMW will have some issues with other riders and warranty claims.
Have a look up the headstock tube from the front mudguard, you should see a washer with a rubber skirting on it. It is this skirting that is letting water past, straight into the lower bearing.

T.

Shouldnt BMW do some kind of recall then, anyone else had this problem yet?

Did you get any photos fella?

Right, I have a few shots below taken in macro, so you should get a reasonable idea of the problem. Apologies for turning the orientation of the camera but it was catch the light.

So, I first noticed last week that the steering had tight spots from lock to lock. The stiffness gave you the feel of a fifty pence piece through the arc of the turning.
I raised the bike and it was when smooth, so this indicated the lower bearing was suspect.
I removed the top clamp and bearing cap, the top bearing was fine, spotless.
Then raising the frame away from the bottom clamp exposed the problem.

pix002.jpg

pix004.jpg

You can see the seal below the bearing, very basic and sub-standard. It is a washer with a rubber skirt adherred to it. This is meant to run against the inner of the headstock tube creating a seal. The rubber had sagged away from where it was meant to seal in the headstock tube.

I then removed the corroded rollers/cage to expose the inner race.
The outer race was in similar condition, picture below in the headstock tube.

pix003.jpg

Both outer races (upper and lower) were removed from the headstock tube.

So my plan was to have my bike back on the road (off road:toungincheek) asap. I obtained a pair of tapered roller bearings (SKF #30206) and made a bit of a sketch, measure what dimension I had to play with.
The idea was to make a seal of that similar to the top bearing, using a cap and o-ring. The only problem was that the lower bearing outer race sat deeper into the headstock tube, so the two sealing faces needed to be as close as the o-ring dictated.
I purchase another top cap from my local dealer. The original was machine into a flat disc/washer. This was mounted on the sterring spindle of the lower clamp and with a couple of drops of Loctitie retaining compound the lower inner race of the bearing was heated and mounted. Once the bearing was home and the Loctite had set the disc was clamped solid to the bottom yoke/clamp.
So, one of the sealing faces was the washer and the other is the outer race rim. This is similar to the top bearing arrangement.
The next pictures show the lower race with the disc and o-ring in place.

pix005.jpg

pix006.jpg

The distance that the o-ring had to move in was 3mm (checked in SKF bearing manual) so I purchased an o-ring (well, minimum order was a bag of 10 at £0.11 each) size 55x3.5 (nitrile material), this was giving me 0.5mm interferance on the o-ring, so plenty of sealing potential.

Offering the lower yoke up into the headstock tube a little care was taken not to catch the o-ring as it entered the tube.
The new upper bearing along with it's o-ring were inserted in the headstock tube.

pix009.jpg

Weight was applied to the front end until the lower bearing was home. The top cap was put on the steering spindle and then the top clamp was mounted.
Following the tightening detail in the manual the assembly was drawn together.

The lower washer had settled home perfectly giving 0.25mm nominal clearance inside the lower part of the headstock tube, and the o-ring had compressed to make a water tight seal.

pix007.jpg

pix008.jpg

The steering has returned to perfect.:thumb2

I also have drilled the headstock tube and fitted a grease nipple.

So, I have my bike back rolling again, obviously this is a warranty issue but I can't be without me trail bike at present. If there is a campain by BMW to look at this issue I may persue it on a later date.
The reason for posting is to give other GX owners a heads-up on a possible problem. Please keep an eye on you bikes steering. If you begin to feel any resistance in the turning of the handlebars, this is the probably cause.

If you take a look up the headstack tube from underneath at the back of the mudguard and you can see some rusty residue appearing out past the seal (substandard) of the lower bearing. That's the tell tale sign that trouble is brewing.
I hope this has been of help.

Timpo.

Timpo,

Thanks for that detailed account of what to look out for and how to cure.

It will be interesting to se if BMW se this problem being sufficiently bad for an RP for an updated sealing arrangement!

Timpo,

Thanks for that detailed account of what to look out for and how to cure.

It will be interesting to se if BMW se this problem being sufficiently bad for an RP for an updated sealing arrangement!

Ironically, only after now.... and I know i should of put mine in for a warranty claim, but I can't afford to have it off road at present, as mentioned, I have too much on for it not to be available......

T.

i have this issue also after 55 hours and 1500 miles. went to move the bike after standing for 2 weeks (properly cleaned and dried off) and the steering was stick in the dead ahead position. after afew turns it freed off but on a ride out at the weekend the odd time turning left the steering was notchy.

apparently this isnt covered under warranty so i stripped the front end today and took a look. like above, the upper bearing was brand new and the lower blackened with no grease left. it didnt look as bad as the pictures above and i may have even caught it in time but it does need replacing before long.

as i cant be without my bike so i have cleaned both the outer race and rollers and repacked with grease until i can get hold of a bearing puller and the correct bearing and parts. on a test ride it feels fine but i think its a matter of time before it goes.

Timpo; is (SKF #30206) the correct part number. there are different variants of this bearing in the catalogue. is it a straight like for like swap?

are the o-rings an skf part?

also was the washer you machined the standard bmw part (from the top bearing)

cheers

I have done this mod exactly as detailed and also replaced both bearings - found mine to be in almost identical condition top and bottom.

I have not finished replacing the forks and ridden the bike yet but do notice straight away that there is now much less smooth left to right turn - it is as if there is steering dampening at play. The steering head does not just fall left or right under its own weight. I am presuming this is due to the added friction of the new o-ring below and lots of new grease? I am guessing this may ease up and one will not notice it when riding?

Back
Top Bottom