Italy to India and beyond

Sputnik

Hi all,
I will be travelling from Italy to India (Ladakh) and from there ... well we will see.
I am leaving mid march via greece, turkey, iran and pakistan and i am planning to reach india by mid june (i am trying to take my time)

Any suggestion? anyone out there on the road willing to share a moka on the way?

see you all
www.theleftwayeast.com

Good luck!

BTW, Sputnik is a great name. If you don't know, it comes from the Russian for Companion on the road or something like that ("Put" is a road).....

Bin

Thank you!

Are you coming along? ... I promise I will not call you "Laika"!
I will keep you posted

let me know when you plan to get to Istanbul (if at all)!

Good Luck! I wish I could go with you. We can share a moka at Ace Cafe if you like. All the best!

I'll probably be around, so can help/point you in the right direction/meet up for beers etc. etc. :)

Have you got any plans sorted out yet?

L

I'll probably be around, so can help/point you in the right direction/meet up for beers etc. etc. :)

Have you got any plans sorted out yet?

L

Agent "L" here is the plan:

Leaving Milan 20-22 March
+/-1 Week in northern Greece (I have been living in greece for 2 years and I think I know the south pretty well)
+/-3 weeks in Turkey (I will have the Iranian Visa starting from 20th April (one Month)
+/-3 weeks in Iran (I wish I could stay more but I was only able to get a one month single entry visa) but...I got the permission to cross the pakistani border at taftan overland (pretty rare stuff these days - please do not ask me how just believe me :)) and I am a bit scared but shipping the bike would have cost me too much.
+/- 10 Days in Pakistan - KKH close to the tribal areas and NWFP seems to be pretty tense and onestly, being alone I do not want to push it too far...understand me, please.
+/- 2 months in central/northern India (ladakh, Uttar pradesh, uttaranchal, jaipur as much as i can giving the monsoon season, etc...)

I have not booked the return flight ;) I would love to see Kangaroos and Kiwis ( birds not wellington citizens)

Well if you know Greece, you can get to Turkey in a day! :) There are some excellent back roads over the mountains, but a lot of EU investment has made it pretty tame!

Anyway, three weeks in Turkey to get from Greek border to Iranian border sounds like lots, but really won't be. A few of us are looking at heading to Iran this year, and we reckon 3 days' ride (pretty much non-stop) and using motorways where possible. Add in a couple of days in Istanbul (4 if you've not been here before) and you've used a week already. I'll PM you some contact details and I'm sure we can sort you out some accomodation in this neighbourhood!

just realised Sputnik... you need to start sponsoring this great site - well worth £12!

Let's do beer in Istanbul, what say you L? If you're here for a few days I'm sure we can sort out some sightseeing and a ride or two around the area.

I say Aye to beer in istanbul. Any other GSer passing through?

Oman/Dubai info here if you need

Hi,
If you need some info for Oman/UAE please drop a line.....

Not the best time of year to be passing throught the Middle East, and India some July/August will be monsoon time - just think of English summers but with even more rain :augie

Safe riding

Tim - Muscat. Oman

R1100S
R1150GSA

News

Sorry guys but ı have been pretty busy lately drınkıng chay and bathıng ın hamams...:D thank you all for all you support and actually so far ıt has been an amazıng human experıence.

I have updated the websıte a bıt but ıt naturally lags behınd.

The latest ıs that I changed the fınal destınatıon whıch ıs for the tıme beıng Nepal (after ladakh)...so tomorrow I am plannıng on leavıng Trabzon for Rıza and Artvın for a few days of lazy wınter campıng (ıt ıs cold ındeed!)

I am plannıng on Hıttıng Iran by the end of the month ıf anyone ıs out there I wıll be happy to catch up.

See you all

A
www.theleftwayeast.com

PS I skıpped ıstanbul for some de-tour around ızmır area. Sorry L

Hi,
If you need some info for Oman/UAE please drop a line.....

Not the best time of year to be passing throught the Middle East, and India some July/August will be monsoon time - just think of English summers but with even more rain :augie

Safe riding

Tim - Muscat. Oman

R1100S
R1150GSA

Hi Tim
Are you in Muscat long term? If so I'd love to have a chat sometime. Worked SOAF in the 70's and holidayed/4x4 in 2000. I'm contemplating(early stages) a ride down from the uk next year and need to start thinking about routings. I'l be heading down Sur, Masirah & Salalah way if I'm able to get as far as Muscat first!
Regards
Andrew F650GS DAKAR- and loving it!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom