Sky+ - Can't Get Off Standby

JoeC

rebircsbuS
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got a problem with my Sky+ box in that it won't come off standby.
I have looked at the Sky problem pages and called them but they say I need a new box/take out warranty etc. They also suggested if I could get hold of a used box them they will match my card up to it.

My questions :

• has anybody else had this probelm and how did you fix it?
  • has anybody got a Sky+ box that works that they don't want anymore? (I will also put a posting in wanted if I am unable to fix mine)

Ta

I had it happen with a old type Amstrad one, cost me £20 at local TV repair shop:thumb2

:) as above or even the good old.......unplug....leave 5 mins..plug back in routine....

During my posting I have done some digging but nothing to basically pin point exactly what it is.

• Sky did a recent software update which seems to have only affected Amstrad PVR3 which I have. It leaves the box in standby. A Sky engineer admitted to a customer that they had sent down HD updates to non-HD Amstrad boxes.
  • faulty HDD
  • faulty PSU

I shall be getting back to Sky about the top one but no doubt as it is outside of warranty then will not want to know.
I have tried a friends HDD in mine but still the same.
Not sure about PSU and am only guessing not that as it does power the box up to standby mode.
I have tried a system reset and forced download but still no joy.

Any further help and replacement + box would be appreciated.

Cheers

During my posting I have done some digging but nothing to basically pin point exactly what it is.
  • Sky did a recent software update which seems to have only affected Amstrad PVR3 which I have. It leaves the box in standby. A Sky engineer admitted to a customer that they had sent down HD updates to non-HD Amstrad boxes.
  • faulty HDD
  • faulty PSU
I shall be getting back to Sky about the top one but no doubt as it is outside of warranty then will not want to know.
I have tried a friends HDD in mine but still the same.
Not sure about PSU and am only guessing not that as it does power the box up to standby mode.
I have tried a system reset and forced download but still no joy.

Any further help and replacement + box would be appreciated.

Cheers

I don't know what model an Amstrad PVR3 is, but I do know that to fix mine they installed a replacement part, all told it took them less than 20mins while I waited at front of premises. They said it was a very common fault with Mr Sugar's crap boxes.

If they dont play ball, ring them up and cancel your subscription, then if they still wont play ball, get your wife to take out a new contract and you should get all new stuff:augie

Just got off phone to Sky about the problems people have experienced with standby issues since a download ... got a free service call booked for Monday!

I did think about swapping out contracts to somebody else in the family (account is in my son's name but I pay the bill - he no longer lives at home) to get new equipment so will keep this up my sleeve.

Thanks

hi there joe, i had a similar problem with mine. Its the harddrive. They die a death.

I brought another one to replace it secondhand but you need to ring them up to get them to pair it to your account (thats free)

mine was out of warranty by quite a time hence i had to do it this way. But if they say they want money for a new box check out ebay, theres always loads on there, or you could just buy a new harddrive for it. Thats what ive done for my old one.

paul

Paul
What make and type of HDD did you get and at what sort of price?
Have read forums that said needed old speed HDD and modern faster speed ones don't work.

... got a free service call booked for Monday!

Hello,
you got a free service because the repairer guy will do this, it usually cures about 80% of sky plus boxes.

Unplug the box from the mains, hold down the left and right arrow buttons on the front of the box, keep them pressed in and plug the power back in....
... now keep the buttons pressed until you get the circular light lit up in the centre of the box (can take up to 2 mins sometimes) then press the select button on the box....
.. the light should rotate counter clockwise for a few seconds then the box turns itself off and re boots.
wait a couple of minutes then try turning the box back on.

Once you have got it restarted go into the menu listings in your boxes pages and disable the updates and the box turning itself off :augie

This is a useful site, http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=581572

enjoy,

Mike.

Joe

dunno where abouts in the world you are mate, but if you are anywhere near Lincolnshire then i've got an old sky+ box you can have...

im working away from home next few weeks and only back briefly at weekends, its yours if you can collect, dont want anything for it, but if you insist :D you can buy me a pint :D

Mike
Tried your instructions myself and also with the Sky Call Centre people but it does nothing. Apart from the red standby light being on nothing else lights up.

Carl
Thanks for the offer. I live in Kent so a little far to collect.

Will wait and see what my man has to say today.

the hold down the buttons trick is only basically a full system wipe and reboot, if the hard drives buggered (which most are) its of no use.

I got a maxtor 120gb 7200 rpm unit.

You cant get the unit to work with anything larger or faster but the 7200 rpm speed is faster accessing than the standard anyway.

I paid £19 for my new hard drive including delivery so its a bit of bargain.

Just plug it in and do a reset and it should work straight off.

The meter displaying how "full" the hard drive is will only ever show 40gb of free space but if you ignore it , it will continue to allow you to record.

Though it can throw an arse if you try to exceed the limit and will lock up, so just be sensible :)

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom