Front axle collapse _ BMW Recall

Globerider

Not sure but hopefully this just effects a few bikes manufactured Sept 2008, possibly USA market - but then I'd guess all the front axels are built by the same supplier?

[As folks posted on Advrider:

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...9V088-1013.pdf

BMW's own words:]

"Model Year Model: 2008 F 800GS
Inclusive Dates of Manufacture: Sep. 11,2008 -Sep. 16,2008"

"The problem involves the front axle shaft..."
NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V088000
Problem: BMW is recalling model year 2008 F800 GS motorcycles. The axle shaft wall thickness may not have been manufactured according to specifications. If the wall thickness was not sufficient, the axle shaft could deform and could break increasing the risk of a crash.
Corrective Action: Dealers will inspect the axle shaft assembly and replace or repair the necessary components free of charge.

That's a pretty narrow range of manufacturing dates; and BMW's notice to NHTSA lists only manufacturing dates, not VIN. The headstock VIN label only reads by month/ year, e.g. "0908," so it seems the dealer will have to cross-check VIN against manufacturing date--or do you suppose 1-800-831-1117 will have that data?

Got mine this morning, I wonder if they would pack the inadequately greased bearings at the same time?:augie

S

I have just recieved this for my bike in Australia. Rang the dealer and they said bring it in, will measure it and if problem order a new part (or get one from a display bike). Unfortuately I live 2 hrs from nearest dealer and can't get there normal working hours,

Does anyone know what the actual minimum thickness is, I've got the equipment at work to test it, just want to know how soon I need to act on this. Also, do they just replace the axle, if so I might just take that in, or send it to them.

Don't you just love the bullshit wording? If the axle were to break a crash is a certainty, not just an increased risk!

Don't you just love the bullshit wording? If the axle were to break a crash is a certainty, not just an increased risk!

If it just deforms though, it could just cause a wobble:nenau

PS thread stickied - Tim doesn't pop in averyday but I'm sure he#d do the same when he saw this :thumb2

will measure it and if problem order a new part (or get one from a display bike). Also, do they just replace the axle, if so I might just take that in, or send it to them.

Mine was recalled and they replaced it straight off, no quibbling or time wasting thankfully.

My bike arrived at the dealers at the end of March this year, I was told it came right from the factory. Does this mean I am safe? Also, should I expect a call from the BMW dealer on any recall problems?

How to tell if your axle is effected (Maybe!)

I have been told that you can tell if you need a new axle by measuring the depth the bored out part from the right side. Because there are three different inside diameters you need to insert something like a 16mm rod (At this point I am glad Benny Hill isn't still with us!) and it should go in about 60mm, some including mine, go in 68mm. These should be replaced.

If your measuring rod is "too thin" it will probably go in about 230mm.

Now if you don't mind I must go, I think my Freudian Slip is showing.

Oh and pardon the metric measurements ... I expect Wolfram Alpha can translate them for you if necessary.

Is this likely to affect the 2008 F650GS as well or are the axels different ?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom