PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP or Le Mans 24 Hour 4 Wheelers

StooL
10-03-04, 23:04
Thinking about heading to either Assen MotoGP or Le Mans 24 hour car race. Wondering what you're experiences of both are like. Where can I get tickets and what is the camping provision like at both events? Any tips or info. greatly appreciated.

Dave Hall
11-03-04, 10:41
I`ve never been to Assen but they reckon its like a Brit GP.

I went to Le Mans once and paid 20 to stand at the corner at the end of the Mulsanne straight. After 20 minutes I was so bored I left.

Invicta Moto
11-03-04, 13:18
Went to Assen for MotoGP last year. Excellent weekend but rather camp we stayed in a hotel in Groningen.

There are loads of campsites around the circuit that are there all year and have permanent bars/cafe on them, and then there are loads more that grow up in famer's fields just for GP and WSB weekends.

Camped there a few times and had a great time as long as you don't get the :GS:GS:GS:GS:GS:GSs that play loud music all night and then crash out and miss the racing...... usually German BTW.

The former have better bogs and wash facilities and the latter not very good, but usually have a barn converted to a drinking den in the evenings.

If you the Assen exit off the motorway and head in towars the circuit there is a farm right there with barn and a small "zoo" out front. Looked packed last year as we exited the parking areas.

Both times I camped I got there Thursday to get a decent pitch.

notadrop
11-03-04, 13:55
Originally posted by Invicta Moto
Went to Assen for MotoGP last year. Excellent weekend but rather camp ........

REALLY???????????:confused:

Invicta Moto
11-03-04, 14:52
Originally posted by notadrop
REALLY???????????:confused:

Oops "rather than camp"...........................

Podger
15-03-04, 10:44
Originally posted by StooL
Thinking about heading to either Assen MotoGP or Le Mans 24 hour car race. Wondering what you're experiences of both are like. Where can I get tickets and what is the camping provision like at both events? Any tips or info. greatly appreciated.

I'm an expert on Le Mans (Cars)! , I've raced there in the 24hours Retrospective , and in the invitation race prior to the 24 Hour, in 2000 and 2001

For your best information on the 24 Hour as a spectator look here at Club Arnage here (http://www.club-arnage.com/)

It is can be usefull to join the ACO who organise the race , for entry into the Members stand etc , and discounted camping , their site is here (http://www.lemans.org/univers_accueil/index.html)

You need to be starting to book now !!!

As far as GP at Assen , yes been twice , but stayed in a hotel in Groningen (?) 20 mins ride to the circuit , cheap hotels, great place to eat and drink , and very welcoming residents .There is plenty of camping available at the circuit , but I'm not sure if it's bookable like Le Mans

Hope this helps :D

Bryn
15-03-04, 18:41
Done Assen WSB two years running, doing Moto GP this year. The hotels in the area are pretty reasonable, and give a bit more comfort than a tent. Try www.travel-holland.co.uk for online search for local accommodation. If the atmosphere at WSB is anything to go by the Moto GP should be fantastic.
On leaving the circuit there were still people waving from overbridges 50 miles from Assen.....

We're going on the Thursday and coming back Sunday (Race on the Saturday....

:bounce1

StooL
15-03-04, 20:38
Great links to the web sites. Thanks

:)