G650 tyre/speedo setting changes...

Adventure Stu

Reaction score
This was the procedure used for sort my XChallenge, it may or may not be relevant to other G650 models :nenau After my instrument panel was changed I noticed that the speedo was set to reflect a 17" wheel fitment, when actually I was running the standard 18". Anyway I took the bike to Bahnstormer to get it sorted and in the process was handed a photocopy of the BMW-Motorrad instructions on how to complete the process...

SETTING TYRE DIAMETER ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

precondition
disconnect the battery
remove ignition key

- press the SET button and provisionally connect the battery.
> no reading in the display
- continue to hold down the SET button
> software version appears in the display
- continue to hold SET
> reading in display counts down in seconds from 15 to 0
> when the countdown completes the initial configuration is set to zero, and the parameters of the wheels for this model are displayed in succession.
- press the MODE button when the parameters for the wheel in question appear on the display
> the parameters displayed are saved in the memory of the instrument cluster.

SETTING CLUSTER TO READ MPH OR KPH

- disconnect battery (although I was shown how to do this by just removing the top fuse)

- switch on the ignition press the MODE button and provisionally connect the battery (or insert fuse)
> no reading in display
- continue to hold down the MODE button
> software version appears in the display
- continue to hold MODE
> unit of measure currently set (MPH or KPH) appears in the display
- continue to hold MODE
> unit of measure changes to the alternate value
- switch of ignition and release MODE
> unit of measure last shown is saved as the unit for readouts in the memory of the instrmuent cluster.

If you put it back on 17 inch wheel speed is within 1/1.5 mph of gps reading rather than 5 or so adrift.

it also clocks up the miles quicker;) As I discovered when riding with a fellow tosser also on a Xchal. We filled up and reset trips at the same time, when he was showing 19.4 miles covered I was showing @ 20.8 (or thereabouts) there was a significant difference.

Back
Top Bottom