D.I.Y. Spring maintenance

Baard

Reaction score
After a long winter it is time for some maintenance. Even if the F800GS is a modern bike it is possible to do a lot of the maintenance at home.

My bike has now 25.000 km, 10.000 of the this winter in salt and snow.

What I normally do after a winter is changing chain and sprockets and tires. I also check brake calippers for proper functionallity.

The front sprocket takes most wear together with the chain. Chains do not like salt, and after a winter it is end used.
F800GS_sprockets.JPG

The studded tires are good in winter, but when spring is here the TKCs are warm welcome:
F800GS_rear_tire.JPG

I know the swing arm bearings is a weak point. Bearing is beeing checked and lubricated:
F800GS_bearings.JPG

Some new parts are always welcome. This hugger comes from Wunderlich:
F800GS_hugger.JPG

Of experience I have learnt that brake calpippers and salt are bad match. I split and lubricate the sliding pins:
F800GS_rear_calipper.JPG

Rear end is almost completed. To be continued with front end.

Baard

Today I continued with front end. Off with the studded tire, on with a new TKC. While the wheel was off it is easy to check what it looks like under the fender.

I chanced on a winter without fork boots, that's a mistake:
F800GS_fork.JPG

The seals are no good any longer and should be replaced. I spoke to the dealer, he would not takt it as a guarantee case, due to the winter riding.

I will try to do the fork legs later on, I have also bought fork boots but I need to take the legs down to mount the boots.

The wheel bearings on the front wheel are no good:
F800GS_front_wheel.JPG

I did not know they were bad, and will ask the dealer about this. A set of bearings should last for more than 11 months / 25.000 km. On my previous F650 Dakar I changed bearings first time after 7 years / 135.000 km. It operated under the same conditions as the 800.

The brakes in front was also in need og cleaning and lubrication:
F800GS_front_calipper.JPG

Now I am ready for a long summer I hope... After the wheel bearings - and the fork seals...

Baard

prompted by this, i checked my bearings today when taking off the wheels to replace rear pads and tyres, and they were shot to bits on mine too. dealer is replacing them under warranty.
thanks fella!

Wheel bearings

I spoke to the dealer yesterday.
They will replace bearings in the front wheel of no cost for me :)
Like me they thought the bearings should last a little longer.

Baard

I regreased my wheel bearings thorougly last weekend and must say I'm not impressed with the relatively dry state of the bearing/axle area. After all I had the regular 10 000km service in October and such things are expected to be checked and handled in the service checklist. :blast

P.S. The enclosed bolt washers for my Wunderlich Hugger seem to be too thick, rendering the nuts unable to engage the bolt threads. I'm forced to buy some thinner washers before this thing will mount according to instructions.

I've now done about 6500 miles since November last year, with plenty of that on salty roads. My fork sliders only have some small corrosion bits on them, and out of the commonly used area. There isn't the corrosion on the fork uppers that I can see on yours, maybe our salt isn't as agressive, or the ACF50 I tried to get there has done its work.

How do you find the service due indicator? Mine still says 11:2009, and at the current rate that'll be at around 14 000 miles :eek:

Also, what chain did you use to replace the worn one, as mine will need doing soon? :(

I replaced the chain with a 525 DID x-ring chain. Sprockets are original BMW.

After demounting the fork and cleaning I think the seals are saved. I have mounted neoprene fork boots, hope this will make the seals last longer.

Got a phone call from the dealer today, the front bearings will be changed the 4th of May. Crossing fingers for no trouble so long.

Baard

Back
Top Bottom