GPS & topographical mapping?

Possu

Reaction score
Looking for a GPS unit that I can fit to a bike that will record offroad tracks, store them & then allow me to use them at a later date.

Most use will be in the UK but also include the Pyrenees & the Alps etc.

Are there any units that take OS maps? If so, what are they & how much are the maps?

I'm thinking of the Garmin 60csx, Oregon & Colorado? Any others I should be thinking of? Prefer to stick with Garmin if possible as I also have a NavII.

BTW, I'm a numpty novice at this, all help appreciated. :thumb

Satmap AT10 is much better than the Garmin but its not designed for road use. Its a fantastic piece of equipment when used correctly i.e its for off road use only.

GPS/Topo

GPSMap60CSX + 2Gb micro SD card will do exactly what you want. It will carry Topo maps, and CN2009, and you can switch between them. You can set it to log tracks to the card, giving you ample capacity.

GPSMap60CSX + 2Gb micro SD card will do exactly what you want. It will carry Topo maps, and CN2009, and you can switch between them. You can set it to log tracks to the card, giving you ample capacity.

Thanks, confirms that the 60csx is the way to go, any idea's where to get a good deal?

60CSX

Ebay is your friend!! I wouldn't worry too much about the basemap, as you won't be using it much, and I would also look for a deal on a NOH/white box unit - I've had a couple of these and not had any problems at all. As for mapping, well there are a number of alternatives including torrent sites, but that is a matter for your conscience...........

Don't pay for mapping a micro SD card though, apparently you can only use it on the GPS, and it cannot be uploaded and used on the PC.
Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.

Steve,
the 60CSX won't take OS maps (presume you realise this?). It does have kick-ass fix times though and satellite retention is second to none.
If you are prepared to plot routes in Memory Map and then transfer them to your GPS then get a 60CSX. Garry H, Hew, me and loads of other folks do this.

If you want to improvise while out on the trail then being able to see OS maps is most useful, you'll need something compatible like a Road Angel Adventurer
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/road_angel_adventurer_satnav.htm
for that though.

Looking for a GPS unit that I can fit to a bike that will record offroad tracks, store them & then allow me to use them at a later date.

Most use will be in the UK but also include the Pyrenees & the Alps etc.

Are there any units that take OS maps? If so, what are they & how much are the maps?

I'm thinking of the Garmin 60csx, Oregon & Colorado? Any others I should be thinking of? Prefer to stick with Garmin if possible as I also have a NavII.

BTW, I'm a numpty novice at this, all help appreciated. :thumb

I have a 60csx what they don't tell you when you buy one is you need to buy all the software before it's any use. I've installed metroguide 9 and topo uk v2 onto a 2Gb memory so it will display topo of the uk and roads. You can buy topo of just about any country from garmin website or download it from torrent sites. I plot route on my PC using memory map as its far supperior to the garmin programmes and then transfer tehm to the GPS it is a good peice of kit but it's up to you to customise it for what you want to do with it. When just doing long roads journeys i use my Tomtom 510 does everything a rider 1/ 2 or Zumo can do with a fraction of the cost and just because it's a car unit doesn't mean it isn't waterproof i saturated it and it still works and if i turn the volume up at 90mph i can still hear it giving instructons clearly

I have a 60csx what they don't tell you when you buy one is you need to buy all the software before it's any use. I've installed metroguide 9 and topo uk v2 onto a 2Gb memory so it will display topo of the uk and roads. You can buy topo of just about any country from garmin website or download it from torrent sites. I plot route on my PC using memory map as its far supperior to the garmin programmes and then transfer tehm to the GPS it is a good peice of kit but it's up to you to customise it for what you want to do with it. When just doing long roads journeys i use my Tomtom 510 does everything a rider 1/ 2 or Zumo can do with a fraction of the cost and just because it's a car unit doesn't mean it isn't waterproof i saturated it and it still works and if i turn the volume up at 90mph i can still hear it giving instructons clearly

I also have a 60csx and it is a cracking piece of kit use it mainly for walking and biking (pedalling kind!!), I also use Memorymap to plan routes and then load it onto the GPS and so far its been very accurate. Agreed by the time you have bought the software and the unit it can be quite expensive, around £500ish.
I would also agree with JasonBC about using a car based GPS, all you need to do is mount it covered with a clear polybag and an elastic band around the bottom to hold the bag on and closed. You can still see and use the screen and also run the cables in through the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom