France - 6-day "Iron Man" blast in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrascal

Reaction score
I have moved this thread across from the South East section - here is the linky if you want to catch up on previous posts. I have picked out a couple of the newest as follows:

(Posted by OldRascal)

I thought that it might be fun to give a few hints of where this ride might be passing through. :augie So firstly:

462px-Route-Napoleon02.jpg

Grasse
Saint-Vallier-de-Thiey
Castellane
Digne
Sisteron
Gap
Col Bayard (1,246 m)
Corps
La Mure
Laffrey
Grenoble

No need for a hint with that one as its spelt out but a pint of wallop at our first stop if anyone gets this location:

704633744_5b9260b852.jpg

gorges20du20verdun_jpg.jpg

PS Pint of wallop won by Wapping :beer:

(Posted by RidersRest)

Bonjour - Oldrascal dropped me an email about his excursion and asked me to comment with a view to dropping in on us here www.ridersrest.net in the Central Massif for a couple of nights and taking in some of the rides in this region. www.motomassif.info

We are pretty well placed from us to the Millau via Puy Mary Volcano, then through the Tarn Gorges onto the northern part of Route Napoleon (N85) and Grenoble before heading back up north to the ferrys via Anesey, Geneva (N5) etc... I have emailed OldRascal some suggested Garmin routes but will leave it for him to decide :thumb

May is a busy time but we do have availability Thurs 14th - Wed 20th May available as a block so if you want ot fit into any of those dates please let us know. failing that the 1st 2 weeks of June we do keep an up to date vacancies map at http://ridersrest.eu/vacancies.aspx to help with any planning.

I am not sure how you want to do the accommodation and ride side of things but I guess that is something OldRascal and whoever comes can discuss

We usually do an all in for groups for 65€ per person per night (for the UKGSers we would do a 10% discount so 58€ Per dium) which includes:

***Included***
* Bed linen, and Towel.
* English Breakfast
* Evening meals (Wendy cooks a nice 3 course meal and we can do a BBQ)
* All French Beer Blonde and Wine included -- Yes drink is included
* Workshop facilities
* Led rides through the beautiful Auvergne - Limousin - Cantal regions. See www.motomassif.info ...

***Not included***
All fuel
Lunches
Ferry
Travel Insurance
Breakdown Insurance - But I can recover you to Ridersrest

Accommodation comprises:

1 double en-suite
1 double room with shared bathroom and toilet
1 twin room with shared bathroom and toilet
1 Club Room sleeps up to 9 solo riders with 2 showers, 1 bath and 3 toilets, en-suite - is in its own self contained space.

we can take 11 solo riders in the clubroom and twin room
or
we can take 9 solo in the clubroom and 3 couple in the other rooms.

Hope that is not tooo much info but enough for you to get talking.

Bon Route :blagblah
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

(Posted by OldRascal)

Thanks, RidersRest, that is really useful information which gives us a datum line to start serious planning. :thumb As I see it, the options are heading towards these two variants:
  • The 'Full Monty' tour as outlined by RidersRest's, which takes us on a reasonably rapid but enjoyable blast to our hosts at Treignac. Then day 2 being a guided blat around the great local roads to Castel de Val, Mont Dore and Puy de Dome. A 2nd night of merriment :ChrisKellyat RidersRest and then we make our own way to Milau, the Gorges de Verdun and the upper part of the Route Napoleon before arriving at Grenoble, the high passes, Lyons and back to the Channel by the most efficient route.
This is about 1,600 miles and will merit the original thread heading of "6 Day Iron Man Blast". :bow

The alternative is a slightly more leisurely amble down through the backroads from the coast, stopping off for our first night some way short of RidersRest at an auberge of choice to arrive at Treignac for the 2nd and 3rd nights. Day 3 can be pretty much as described above with the local sights being visited, dinner and booze at Treignac with a departure on Day 4. This is where the plan changes because I propose a less ambitious route, heading more over towards Clermont Ferrand and the Burgundy for a bit of end-of-day wine tasting at one or two local vineyards. This should give us a couple of leisurely and unpressured days to head home on minor roads. This should be no more than 1,200 miles.
So Tossers all, anyone getting tempted? :aidan

Remember, if we like what's being proposed, we still have some flexibility on dates between May 14th and May 20th although it would be good to start marking your claim as we are going to be quite limited on numbers.

Finally, this is a strictly amateur attempt on my part (yeah, yeah, keep the raspberry's down at the back there) :rob to put a more ambitious trip together so don't expect that everything will work like clockwork. But as I mentioned in a previous post, I am lucky to be bi-lingual French/English and to know and understand the country's culture well. T his can make a huge difference to the trip as the French are much more accommodating in all respects when addressed in their own language - er, a bit like us really. :D
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

The "6 Day Iron-Man Blast" thread which was in the South East section has now been copied across in its entirety by the Moderator to this Open Invite forum - linky. So as this temporary thread is no longer needed, it is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom