To twist or stick?

t'other dave

Reaction score
I've owned my 1150GS (x plate 2000) for 6 years now and still say it's the best thing I've ever bought. When I bought it I'd toyed with the idea of a harley having ridden one but opted for the gs. Now I'm getting drawn to the idea of buying one again (fatboy) but it would mean selling the gs.
A chap I know who's harley through and through owned a 1150 gs for 12 months but swopped back but says the gs is a far better bike ?
So whos taken to the darkside? was it worth it? will I regret selling the gs?

This very much depends on how often you currently ride your GS. If you ride it in all weathers and you want to do the same on a Harley then you'll end up spending as long cleaning the Harley as you do riding it. Harleys really aren't all year round bikes :augie

I've owned my 1150GS (x plate 2000) for 6 years now and still say it's the best thing I've ever bought. When I bought it I'd toyed with the idea of a harley having ridden one but opted for the gs. Now I'm getting drawn to the idea of buying one again (fatboy) but it would mean selling the gs.
A chap I know who's harley through and through owned a 1150 gs for 12 months but swopped back but says the gs is a far better bike ?

Dave

I've had 5 Harleys - Sportster, Softail Standard, 2 Heritage Classic's and an Ultra Glide.

With the exception of the Sporty I've covered loads of miles, and toured all of Europe many times. A Harley is a worldwide touring machine for sure. :)

But I got a Dakar couple of years ago and started to play in the mountains - and that was a revelation :clap. My missus called it the 'toy' initially cause she thought it felt light and insubstantial. But after a couple of rides / miles she liked that one better than my last Heritage (more comfortable too according to her).

The Harley just was no pleasure up in the twisties and anyplace in Europe other than UK I was longing for something more agile and faster. Even the Ultra was better at roadholding and had more ground clearance than the Heritage (which is the same as the Fatboy in these respects). Forget tight hairpins or fast bendies unless you like the sound of floorboards grinding down and are happy to risk a bracket digging in and hurling you off! :blast

Then I took a test on a 12GS a year gone February, and WOW!

Anything I could do with the Harley I can do faster, better, with more luggage, more control and bags more fun wth the GS. Plus I get to mix it with the plastic rockets occassionally. Its a hell of a lot easier to move around the garage too - and cleaning... forget it!
:hide

I sold my Heritage just after my first trip to through France and down to Spain! :JB

Sometimes a change is just waht you need to reinspire you and get you back in the saddle. :thumb2

I'm lucky enough to own both but I'm riding the Harley more than the GS simply because I don't feel the need to dress up like a Dakar legend every time I want to go to the shops :p

got both to.and love the gs more then me Harley only really keeping me Harley because i build from the ground up and its owes me about 14grand but i do love the 130bhp and the 135lbf toque and its going back together as we speak

Attachments

• bike build 2 020.jpg
    bike build 2 020.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 129
Cheers for replys guys, if I could have 2 then no probs but I can't. Ive spoke to a few people over the last week and think I'll stick I still love the BM and get withdrawal symptoms if I 've not rode it for 2 weeks I ride all year round in all weathers dont think I'd enjoy all the cleaning/polishing needed for a Harley after a frosty salty winter ride.

Cheers for replys guys, if I could have 2 then no probs but I can't. Ive spoke to a few people over the last week and think I'll stick I still love the BM and get withdrawal symptoms if I 've not rode it for 2 weeks I ride all year round in all weathers dont think I'd enjoy all the cleaning/polishing needed for a Harley after a frosty salty winter ride.

At the start of this post i thought that you may of had a fall, or at least a hard knock to the head, but now you are talking sense again......

SteveBC.

as a former gs rider and now fortunate enough to have 2 harleys i'd like to say that some of us do ride all year round, put 1000 miles on my xr1200 through last winter. i hate cleaning but acf50 kept the corosion at bay. what ever you ride enjoy

Back
Top Bottom