Wunderlich Hugger

F650Dakar_Norway

Reaction score
It won't fit right out of the box.

http://wunderlich.de/frame.php?Make...=1&lay1=2&lay2=7&lay3=2&lay4=3&prodid=8160544

Be aware that the enclosed washers are too thick and must be replaced with thinner ones. The front mounting bolt for the rear brake hose is also a bitch to loosen since it's been supplied with "mounds of loctite" and requires some tricks to get loose.

This thread has some useful tips ( german language ):
http://800gs.localhost8080.de/viewtopic.php?t=237&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

I've fitted the Wunderlich Hugger to my F800GS and it went on just fine. I think the washers to which you refer are the ones which fit either side of the rubber grommits... but once the grommits compress through tightening the nyloc nuts, it leaves exactly the right amount of thread prutruding through.

I agree it is a bit fiddly but it's the usual thing... right tools for the right job:thumb

I've fitted the Wunderlich Hugger to my F800GS

Hey nikp

How good is it for keeping the crud of the spring and engine!
Or does it throw more crud around the chain.
And do you have any pics please.

Rich:thumb

Hugger fitting

ended up fitting mine on Christmas eve morning, thought it would only take an hour...:augie

took about two hours with one of the bolts holding the brake line in place taking a good soaking of wd40 to loosen.

it does protect the rear shock and I think looks in fitting with the bike rather than a sports bike type hugger.

Tim

I've fitted the Wunderlich Hugger to my F800GS

Hey nikp

How good is it for keeping the crud of the spring and engine!
Or does it throw more crud around the chain.
And do you have any pics please.

Rich:thumb

Not brilliant... but took these on my phone when fitted;

hug1.JPG

HUG2.JPG

I had already fitted the shock sock just prior to the onset of winter (£5 off of ebay:thumb2) but i wasn't sure if the sock would actually hold any road salt and end up increasing the risk of any corrosion on the spring:confused:

I got round to taking the sock off yesterday and pleased to confirm that the shock / spring is in tip top condition (bike ridden all through winter). The sock is actually made from a neoprene type material rather like a wet suit so it seems to have bee a worth while investment.

As for the wunderlich... it does a good job (the crud on the photos was there before it was fitted) as Tim says - it looks right for the bike to the point where it's functional but hardly noticable.

Pretty good price as well considering the alternatives.

As for the sock - I'm going to slip it in with the next load of washing when swimbo aint looking and I'll refit it after I've let the shock 'breathe' for a while.

As for fitting, I'm reasonably handy with the spanners and it also took me about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to fit... as ever thread locking everything as I go:cool:

Recommended product.

hugger pic

nice and new

Attachments

• Winter ready 004.jpg
    Winter ready 004.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 280
I may have an early series of the Wunderlich hugger. As mentioned in a response mail from Wunderlich on the german F800GS-site; they (Wunderlich) got wrongly specified parts which didn't fit. The frustrated German 800GS-owner in that thread was not very impressed. Neither am I.

However this isn't a show-stopper for me anyhow. As mentioned - given right tools this can be done. Nuff said. :)

Back
Top Bottom