STOP THAT!

Arcanum

Ok, I'm on the verge of buying an F800GS, popping along to the dealer this weekend as a matter of fact. And of course I've been drooling over all the nice pics and have one as my computer wallpaper. . . but here's the thing, those front bake calipers! I think they're calipers, not just a bit of mud caught on the fork legs. They're teeny tiny little things! Do they really do the job well enough? I guess I'm just used to sports bikes where the trend seams to be bigger is better. I know they are Brembos, and that should say enough really, but they just look so inadequate. . . please put my mind at rest and let me know if they're good or not.

Brembos!

Hi Arcanum
I ride mine to work, all options inc ABS in Magnesium colour.
Yesterday, coming out of Ulverston, Lake District, I had a "I didn't see you mate" moment.
Full "handful" from 60ish and "she" stopped on a dime! Dead straight and much quicker than I could have done on my Gixxer 750!
The brakes are fine but I would highly recommend having ABS. Very useful for those moments, wet leaves under trees on bends, rain etc.
By the way. I do not miss the Gixxer at all.
Hope that helps,
Gareth.

I concur. I've got an 800GS with ABS and it stops fine, even on wet manhole covers :)

No ABS

Me too, but I don't have the ABS. Stopped nice and straight on a wet road.
Catherine.

Hey there guys,
Thanks for the confidence boost.
ABS is the way to go then I take it. I'm planning on opting for a few of the extras and even though I've never ridden anything with ABS I was going to have it fitted. Errrrrrrrrrrr, you can switch it on and off though can't you? I like a bit of slippin' and slidin' from time to time.:thumb

...even though I've never ridden anything with ABS I was going to have it fitted. Errrrrrrrrrrr, you can switch it on and off though can't you? I like a bit of slippin' and slidin' from time to time.:thumb

Affirmative. There's a big, obvious "ABS" switch on the left handlebar :augie

Arcanum...

Its easy to switch off the ABS. Then, of course, you need the heated grips, OBC, led lights, centre stand, alarm, hand guards....

By the way, the magnesium colour, its way faster than the yellow.

:)

- Yellow is faster
- ABS is for Girls or the infirm (I'll control when the wheel locks up or not thanks all the same)
- Heated grips are an essential luxury
- OBC is essential... albeit with a fuel guage with a mind of it's own.
- SW Motech centre stand is cheaper and looks better
- Hanguards down to personal choice

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Grey is fastest.

- Yellow is for Girls...
- OBC is a must.
- ABS is a must.
- Heated grips are nice integerated but not the hottest grips around (would still go with factory fitted).
- Alarm optional (got myself but probably wouldnt bother now tbh).

- All colours are equal, but some are more equal than others (i.e Yellow)
- OBC is a must, the dash looks wrong without it
- Heated grips are a must, even though they are not the hottest
- Alarm is a pain as you lose all underseat space
- Centre stand is great especially when doing chain/wheel/tyre maintainance
- 800GS Handguards are crap, go for the 1200GS ones they're much more substantial
- ABS is nice to have on the road as an extra safety net IMHO

I didn't order the alarm or pay for it, but when i picked up my (fast) grey one from Bristol it had it fitted, which was a nice surprise.

When I got home I called the insurance company to see if I could get a discount and they said it makes no difference to the premium. In a month of ownership I think I've set it...ummm...once.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....its an expensive keyfob.

:)

Never mind the color, it's all those aftermarket accssories to weigh/slow you down...

Agree with the key pieces (kind of a good sales gimmic, as your then 'scared by the possible resale issue' if you don't get them)
OBC
ABS
Heated grips
Centerstand

As for breaks, not run into anything yet - though a couple of the Oxford lemmings have tried to be a target!

I wish i'd known about the 1200 handguards when I had the 800 ones fitted!
I love the heated grips and OBC, I hope I never have to love the ABS and the alarm is a pain in the neck, I am pleased I didn't pay for it.
I also love the fast yellow paint..........:augie

rode "our kids" yellerun (grey is faster!:thumb) on sunday, straight of my servo/abs 1150 onto his 800.........

:eek::eek::eek: where are the feckin brakes?:eek::eek::eek:

got soooo used to the servo assist on the "proper" GS :D

mind you seeing how my 1150 weighs about the same as a ford mondeo:augie

hm

Make sure you budget for those essential accessories:
- hand guards
- larger screen
- luggage option of choice
- HID headlamps/fog/etc
- engine bars/bashplates
- GPS

I've just received the Kaoko throttle lock - most impressed it weights exactly (to the nearest gramme) the same as the standard bar end weights.

Er, yellow is faster...?

rode "our kids" yellerun (grey is faster!:thumb) on sunday, straight of my servo/abs 1150 onto his 800.........

:eek::eek::eek: where are the feckin brakes?:eek::eek::eek:

got soooo used to the servo assist on the "proper" GS :D

mind you seeing how my 1150 weighs about the same as a ford mondeo:augie

hm

I will say that the brakes on the BM's at work are much better than mine. It does take a couple of minutes to make sure I don't go steaming into anything too quick when I get back on mine!

Yellow is fastest.

ABS is switch offable - and has helped me avoid one car so far.:eek

Heated grips ain't the hottest - but good enough to ride in winter with Summer gloves on.

Barkbusters are good handguards

6' 2" and the standard screen seems OK to me.

Centrestand is definitely very handy.

I don't care about the resale value as it will be worth fookall by the time I've finished with it.:D

Do what you want...let it all hang out, man.

Back
Top Bottom