Test Ride

RichieS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dont know why, but i thought i fancied a test ride on an 800GS. Popped off down to the lovely folk at Vines, who supplied with bike and key, arranged sunshine for me and off i went on my much used test route which encompasses some great bends, a bit of town work, dual carriageway... a good mixture.

On statrting up, was pleased to hear a real fruity engine exhaust /note, and thats on the standard can. Out on to the open road in a bit of traffic, very easy to manouvre, good riding position, light on the clutch.

Thought i would see what it is like standing up on the pegs at slow speed. Easy to reach the bars with ny 6' frame, although, not unextectadly the pedals would need a bit of adjustment.
Off into the minor roads....what a delight. Responsive, firm footed (dont know what tyres it was running), easy to steer, great throttle response. This was going to be a hoot!! Out to the Pirbright bends.....luckily not too much traffic to slow me up, gentle pressure on the bars and tip in, and accelerate on the way out.....now grinning broadly!!

Down to the dual carriageway....open her RIGHT up...about 115ish indicated, which took a little while to get there, but wasnt too hard to sustain, but found, for me with standard screen, it was all day comforatable at 90.

Back of the big roads and back towards Vines via some small lanes, dispatch some overtakes with ease, and back into the hands of the staff.

Throughout all of this, i was trying to find what to compare it to, and i reckon that it sits somewhere between a new Honda Transalp and a KTM 990 SM. Having ridden both the afromentioned i reckon the 800 is the more versatile, user friendly, and a better everywhere ride. The one i rode has all the toys. ABS, computer, etc etc at at full price is somewhere in the 8k region, which again sits right between the Honda and the KTM.

I cant comment on the supposed maintainence issues which have been done on here, but i am seriously thinking of it as a replacement to my HP2E in the future........Its a gas...go try!!

Richie

I cant comment on the supposed maintainence issues which have been done on here, but i am seriously thinking of it as a replacement to my HP2E in the future........Its a gas...go try!!

Richie

I am Richie, Monday morning at Bristol....as this will be my 1st real ride of a real bike I think i'll have to log on to google and see where to go (Bristol has changeg loads since I worked there) I've also booked a test on the 650 in case the 800 with low seat is still too big (short arse at 5'7")
Question for the masses, can the wheels be changed for smaller ones to aide us shorties? or is this just a stupid question? :nenau

Small wheels....

They dont do them. or if they do, dont fix it if it aint broke. BMW do a low seat/chasis option on this range i think, which should sort you out

I am Richie, Monday morning at Bristol....as this will be my 1st real ride of a real bike I think i'll have to log on to google and see where to go (Bristol has changeg loads since I worked there) I've also booked a test on the 650 in case the 800 with low seat is still too big (short arse at 5'7")
Question for the masses, can the wheels be changed for smaller ones to aide us shorties? or is this just a stupid question? :nenau

Just a suggestion but why don't you wait until they have a demo for the new F800R.

Funky looks like the GS, even got a bit more power than the GS but with proper road wheels/tyres. :thumb

I was concerned about the height before taking delivery of the 800GS, so much so when the opportunity came up I purchased a 19" rim for it (should lower the seat 3/4"). Ive decided I dont need the 19", Im happy with the standard height (although a shortarse).

Desperately trying to recover the money I paid on the wheel, details here:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1809714#post1809714

I've also booked a test on the 650 in case the 800 with low seat is still too big (short arse at 5'7")

Im just under 5'7" i have the low seat option (800GS) and its fine, tippy toes or bum shift and flat on one side, it's fine. Infact its the same height as a standard 650GS (single) with a dakar seat (which i used to have)... useless info but what the heck! jusr make sure you know which side the gradient is on when you stop.....

And me....5'7 and 800Gs with low seat...not a problem.

As I've said before somewhere, the low seat is a good option as you sit in the bike a lot more which makes the screen more effective at speed..the wind hits the top of my helmet above the visor.

+1 - 5'7'', Daytona 'Ladystar' boots, extra 1'' stand ('M Star' for blerks). With one foot on a peg I can flat foot the other side. Bike also settles with few miles, so height becomes less of an issue.:)

My mate has the low seat on his 800GS he is 5' 5" 28" inside leg, rides it tippy toes, but bike height has settled down about an 1" in height over the last 1K miles.

Go for it great bike:thumb2

Don't worry about the wheels and tyres, 21" front wheel, it's a hoot indeed.

22,000 miles on mine now in 12 months, still have a big grin :D

Be warned though ... the center stand decks out when riding der Ring :rob

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Stand decks out.jpg
    Stand decks out.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 162
Micky,

Yer just a hooligan...

Hope you plan to be more sensible next week:p

Back
Top Bottom