Fork Gaiters - Are You Sitting Down?

THE DOCTOR

Reaction score
My fork gaiters on my 400E are looking very tired. The last owner has repaired rips in them with insulation tape so I thought I'd treat the old girl to a new set.
Measured them up with my vernier & noted 50mm at the top where they clamp to the chrome & 60mm at the bottom where they clamp to a nylon spacer. Mmm, weird sizing I thought, I'd better visit my local Suzuki dealer.

Just got a price.

Sit down. :eek

£63

I said £63? he said no!

£63 each!

£126 (for a set of bloody gaiters!)

The insulation tape is staying on! :thumb

Nothing new for OEM slow selling stuff.

Just get a pair of universal fitment Polisport ones or similar for about £15 a pair.

Go to R&M on Duke Street (formerly Les Jones) or order from Marriotts.

I think I`ve got a few pairs in my loft :augie

Cheers Noddy, I use WEMOTO quite a lot actually. I've spent a small fortune there doing up my DR350 & have a box full of their free keyrings & digest magazines! :D

After Googling Acerbis Fork Gaiters I've just found this company in Nottingham & fired off an e-mail to them.

http://www.leisuretrail.co.uk/Home.htm

Quote: 'Replace standard DR-Z400 gaitors, available in Yellow, Blue or Black £14.66'

I'm not convinced I'll find a 50mm/60mm set but I want decent fit at least.

:thumb2

Apparently, so I was told, Leisure trail were one of the original importers of DRZ-Es and having being doing kit for 'em since the year dot.

Apparently, so I was told, Leisure trail were one of the original importers of DRZ-Es and having being doing kit for 'em since the year dot.

Well I'm a sucker for fettling so any company with a decent reputation gets my money. :thumb2

I may even take the GS for a well deserved ride & pay 'em a visit.

Cheers Timpo, I'll take a ride down to Connah's Quay tomorrow & throw some more money around. Demon Tweeks & Bill Smith's got their share today.

Still waiting for Greg M's chain to arrive for the 400, after punching out a tight link 112 links doesn't quite fit a 47 tooth rear now so I'm still itching to get back out on it! :blast

Thanks for the link. :beerjug:

- These look the business.
- How do you get them on?
- Is it a case of removing the front wheel and sliding them on?
- Any idea on size for the DR-Z (I'd go outside and measure, but I'm at work, and bike at home).

Got a set for a 650 single but never fitted them :blast

They do velcro ones IIRC, so no spannering needed to get them on :)

Not a clue on which ones you need, but it's reminded me about getting some for my 650 twin.

Well I'm a sucker for fettling so any company with a decent reputation gets my money. :thumb2

I may even take the GS for a well deserved ride & pay 'em a visit.

They are good (AND they have lots and lots of shiny KTM's in to drool over :drool).

I used to get all my DRZ stuff from them; I'm sure they'll do mail order but as they are local to me, if stuff needs picking up and posting on give me a shout :thumb2

Andres

Got a set for a 650 single but never fitted them :blast

They do velcro ones IIRC, so no spannering needed to get them on :)

Not a clue on which ones you need, but it's reminded me about getting some for my 650 twin.

I rang 'em up. They don't do velcro ones "in case they come off and get caught in the wheel". Sock / condom type only. Front wheel off job.

They are good (AND they have lots and lots of shiny KTM's in to drool over :drool).

I used to get all my DRZ stuff from them; I'm sure they'll do mail order but as they are local to me, if stuff needs picking up and posting on give me a shout :thumb2

Andres

Thanks Andres, I appreciate the offer.
It's only about 100 miles each way for me so I'm planning on paying a visit this weekend. I've been in touch & they assure me they have gaiters in stock for £16.95. There's quite a few other bits & peices on their website for the DRz that I may end up buying while I'm there. :blast

Neoprene fork sleeves: are these for usd forks only or can they be used on conventional forks?

Neoprene, stuff it! :cool:

Took a drive to Leisure Trail this afternoon & filled my boot with goodies for my 400E.
LeisureTrail.jpg

Everything on my list was in stock.

Top shop!

The guys in there are quite pleasant too.

I even got a free toffee. :cool:

There's quite a collection of KTMs in there to look at but I'm still not buying one. :)

My 2002 is looking a bit newer tonight..
NewPlastics.jpg

Looks like you got a set of nice new plastics :).

So what else did you get?

What fork gaiters did you go for in the end?

Cheers.

Looks like you got a set of nice new plastics :).

So what else did you get?

What fork gaiters did you go for in the end?

Cheers.

Yup, new plastics. Makes a world of differance. :)

Tidied up the wiring from the rear light while I was fitting the rear fender, basically shortened the loom so there's no extra wire winding it's way around the air filter & used cleats to secure the loom to the fender. Allen headed bolts holding the light to the fender. New reg plate from Roy Gardner so that's going to replace the tatty plate on atm.

Leisure Trail had rubber (not plastic) gaiters in stock for £16.95 so once I suss out a socket to remove the front axle they'll be going on.

All these little touches are adding up & the bike looks really good now for a 7 year old.

Stunned at the cost of a pair of gaitors!

Checked the US prices and they're around half of our price.

USA Prices

Wonder if someone in Suzuki GB miskeyed and priced them each instead of a pair :)

Back
Top Bottom