Route 66 ,harley hire

dave b

Reaction score
Hi there , in a years time me and my old mate want to plan on doing the old route 66 chicago to LA thing over 2-3weeks .My wife and daughter and his wife want to hire a winnibago or similar that we can all sleep in at night .Has anyone out there done something like this and what are the usual costs.We would be hopefully flying from manchester ,hireing the bikes and the bus, doing the trip ,then dropping them off LA side from which we will be flying back.Any help would be great.

route 66

Hi, I have done lots of US touring, some tours with my own bike and others using Rentals. I have rented HDs and Gold wings from eaglerider, who are probably the biggest rental outfit, they have GSs.

Eaglerider will do you a oneway rental, i.e. pick up Chicago, drop off LA (or vice versa). It is quite expensive. Go on to Eaglerider website eaglerider.com for the numbers, not forgetting to add the insurance and drop off fees onto the estimate.

look at the route of their guided tours and it will give you all of hte distances and sites to see on the way.

Hope this helps, if not ask, and I will try.

HC Travel in Hampshire are eaglerider uk agents. Both are represented at the NEC show.

hi some friends of mine did this 2 years ago.went from manchester to las vegas[aprox £900 return.2 days chillin in vegas then picked up the harleys and took off to the pacific coast.12 days riding to the pacific coast and back to vegas,for the flight home.2 more days in vegas then home.harley hire was aprox £100 per day including insurances.hotels on the route varied between £20-£40 per night.you could also join,kampgrounds of america,they have cabins and the joining fee is cheap and this also gives you discount on the harley hire.used koa myself some years ago and very good,all sites are really clean,good showers and the like and most have a pool.hope this helps. j ps dont prebook anything,sometimes you may want to stay for more than one night in a place we did.

Eaglerider helped with my Cross Canada tour last June-July. Picked up a new HD Road King in Boston, then up to Halifax Nova Scotia, then to Vancouver Island, then Seattle to drop off. They were really helpful with planning and loading up.

They were still supportive when a 17yr old did a U-turn in front of me in downtown Toronto across 4 lanes of traffic, and wiped out the new HD Road King I was sitting on at the time. It's 'parts'.

They managed to get me another new HD Road King in their Chicago depot, so it was a flight down, load up and then 1400mi north to Moose Jaw Saskatchewan to continue on to Calgary, the Rockies and then on to Vancouver and Seattle. We're still trying to sort out costs with the kid's insurance, even though he got charged by the cop that arrived on a Harley Electro Glide while I sat in the ambulance getting poked and prodded by the paramedics. Wife said "it's a good thing you've got a fat arse". Sympathy, excellent.

Would recommend Eaglerider, they can also advise of nearby motorhome and car hire companies.

My brother just signed up for Route 66 and chose HC Travel to do the biz. He looked at Eagle Rider for next June, but HC (although getting the bikes off Eagle Rider) were cheaper and had better insurance cover.

Rocky, which route did you take west?

Eaglerider helped with my Cross Canada tour last June-July. Picked up a new HD Road King in Boston, then up to Halifax Nova Scotia, then to Vancouver Island, then Seattle to drop off. They were really helpful with planning and loading up.

They were still supportive when a 17yr old did a U-turn in front of me in downtown Toronto across 4 lanes of traffic, and wiped out the new HD Road King I was sitting on at the time. It's 'parts'.

They managed to get me another new HD Road King in their Chicago depot, so it was a flight down, load up and then 1400mi north to Moose Jaw Saskatchewan to continue on to Calgary, the Rockies and then on to Vancouver and Seattle. We're still trying to sort out costs with the kid's insurance, even though he got charged by the cop that arrived on a Harley Electro Glide while I sat in the ambulance getting poked and prodded by the paramedics. Wife said "it's a good thing you've got a fat arse". Sympathy, excellent.

Would recommend Eaglerider, they can also advise of nearby motorhome and car hire companies.

Sorry to hear about your off, it happened to Ewen with a kid.... even with support vehicles, bodyguards and such, these things can occur. Hope you are not too battered. I am planning a Canada trip taking in Lab and Nova Scotia, with a view to heading west to Alaska and down to Vancouver. I did th e Alcan a while back (on my trusty Tiger) and fancy the Dempster, what route did you take, as it seems that around Hudson Bay choices are a little limited?

Rocky, which route did you take west?

Sorry to hear about your off, it happened to Ewen with a kid.... even with support vehicles, bodyguards and such, these things can occur. Hope you are not too battered. I am planning a Canada trip taking in Lab and Nova Scotia, with a view to heading west to Alaska and down to Vancouver. I did th e Alcan a while back (on my trusty Tiger) and fancy the Dempster, what route did you take, as it seems that around Hudson Bay choices are a little limited?

Riding the US South-West is great, but do yourselves a favor and forget about the Route 66 nostalgia. You'll end up wasting your precious time on some really boring and long stretches. A little further North, Colorado and Utah offers the greatest riding and incredible scenery.

Renting an RV is quite expensive, and you have to calculate in the camp ground fees if you want to stay in towns. A motel room is typically $60-90, with two queen size beds. Some RV links:
http://www.tracks-trails.com/
http://www.gocampingamerica.com/
http://www.gorving.com/

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Im with ThorH on this one.
Did the Route 66 Thing years ago,Its OK,but,
Colorado ,Utah,New Mexico,now that ought to scratch all your itches.

Back
Top Bottom