Bent wheel rims

steforsh

hi all, recently made the switch from the 12 to the 800 (great choice) and decided to have a blast up to scotland to test her out.

unfortunatly i clobbered a big stone on the edge of the road and bent both wheel rims:augie. the tyres, and rest of the wheels are fine, and i rode the 400+ miles back with no ill effect, but i think they need replacing.

has anyone else done similar, and i wondered if anyone had replaced just the rims with excel ones or others?:)

BMW just want to replace the whole wheels. i didn't even ask for a price.

Considering the 800's rims are conventionally spoked, I'd have thought that any rim with the correct number of spoke holes will do the job.

This could be an opportunity to bling it up a bit with a nice pair of Talons. Go have a chat with your local MX dealer. He'll be able to give you all the relevant info you need.

Val.

Yes I copped a rim dent on the front of my new F800GS. This also happened on my X-Challenge. I'm afraid that BMW likes to save pennies on sub standard wheel rims and suspension components. Why would you put sealed Marzochhi front fork innards that cannot be re-valved?

I'm thinking of sending my wheels to Woody's Wheel works in the US for a complete re-build with superlaced quality rims and an 18" rear.

Steve

thanks all for your input.

i got quoted best part of a £1000 for two new complete wheels from bmw, they could get a front rim (£206) but not a rear. an insurance claim would have cost me my £250 exess plus a £200 increase in my premium next september ( i did an online quote from bennetts ).

my other option was a rebuild with aftermarket rims, but i can't find excel rims in this size. the nearest i got was at central wheels in wales who quoted me £455 for my hubs laced with new spokes and morad rims, but the front rim was only 1.60, and the one on the gs is 2.15.
my concern is i might be limited to motorcross tyres with such a narrow rim.

my solution.
i found stuart edwards in preston who straightend my rims for £40 (there not perfect by any means, but they'll do)
i intend to wait and see if excel (or anyone else) makes a set of rims to fit and rebuild them at a later date.

has anyone else put aftermarket rims on? if so what size?

Weak rims?

Hi!

Has anybody out there found any replacement rims for the F800GS?
Mine has got a bump in the front rim, and I do not even know when I got it.

The front wheel now makes a lot of vibrations, and BMW won't replace the rim under warranty. Is it a "off-road" bike or not?

Baard

So much for the "buy an 800 because the spoked wheels are stronger than the alloys on a 650 twin" theory.

Have a look at posts by Jarax in this forum.

Tim
But an alloy is more likely to shatter leaving you stranded

Hi!

Has anybody out there found any replacement rims for the F800GS?
Mine has got a bump in the front rim, and I do not even know when I got it.

The front wheel now makes a lot of vibrations, and BMW won't replace the rim under warranty. Is it a "off-road" bike or not?

Baard

Why would they replace a rim that you've bent?:rolleyes:

The KTM 640/990 adv uses soft rims, although the 640 Hard Enduro uses decent ones and they're all considered offroad bikes.

It's not just BMW, this where we find the succesful marketing of 'offroad' bikes meets reality:augie

What would be the consequences of reducing from the 2.15 x 21 front wheel to a 1.85 x 21 from http://www.twalcom.com/ ? The site seems to say that it'll still fit road tyres and that it'll be even more appropriate for off-road tyres. (Forget insurance, homolgation, warranty etc.)

Yes, I've also got a bump on mine that induces crazy vibration at speed. The complete assembled wheel from twalcom is almost half price than bmw rim, spokes and work (doesn't include center part). If I have to spend money, I'd rather spend it on something better...

I have been wondering about the same thing.
But you can buy the Excel Rim and the spokes separately on http://www.twalcom.com/home.php in Italy, that is way cheaper than the Twalcom wheel.
If you have to pay for the work on the wheel you will probably not safe much money though.

The first pic is the rear.

When i did this i certainley notiticed that i'd hit something, but didn't stop at the time.

it was about 20 mile further down the road when we all stopped and i noticed the damaged.

i rode a bit carfull for a few miles, then sort of forgot about it. 80+ down the motorway with no probs.

i've never given them a thought since i had them straightend, i always change my own tyres and ballance them myself.

Attachments

• Photo-0019.jpg
    Photo-0019.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 671
  • Photo-0020.jpg
    Photo-0020.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 942
  • Copy of RIMG0062.jpg
    Copy of RIMG0062.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 2,002
i rode a bit carfull for a few miles, then sort of forgot about it. 80+ down the motorway with no probs.

i've never given them a thought since i had them straightend, i always change my own tyres and ballance them myself.

I have always "hammered" the front rim back to shape, but there is always a flatter spot where the bent was, so in the end I will have to replace the rim.
:augie

Try Devon Rim Company. They will re lace new rims onto existing hubs, and do a lot of BMW's - they are, I think, the only place that will re-lace tubeless rims.

Devon Rim Company

I had a similar problem with my KTM 640 Adventure. The apparent reasoning is that the 2.15 rim gives a better profile for road use, but the consequence is less protection of the rim by the sidewall. How much truth there is in this I don't know. My bike is used purely for off-road riding, and my original front rim resembles a threpenny bit now.
Central Wheel Components provided a new Talon hub, laced with heavy duty SS spokes to an Excel 1.85 rim, just shy of £300 IIRC.
Mark

Hammer it back with a rubber mallet, like others have said:augie

Or get your hands in your pocket for a decent set of Excell rims

You go offroad...................you run the risk

Why should BMW cough up.....................:nenau

Back
Top Bottom