JUNE - the Great 5-Day Gastro Blast through France

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrascal

Reaction score
I had planned this trip for May (see thread here) but, what with one thing or another, the takeup has been pretty thin. :( That said, a lot of interest has been expressed by Tossers in a joining a trip combining decent riding through the minor roads of France and the enjoyment of sampling authentic French cooking and wine. :ChrisKelly

So I have cancelled the May trip and am rescheduling it for June. This should give everyone a bit more time to 'square the circle' on family/work commitments. The general plan is to head South and cover about 1,000 miles in 4 or 5 days, using principally A & B roads and avoiding motorways wherever possible - a combination of pleasant touring and easy scratching where the opportunity presents. :augie

Where I want to make a difference is in the choice of where the ride eats and stays. As I've worked and played in France since I was a kid, am bilingual and love good regional French food, I am convinced that we can travel the length and breadth of the country without ever having to give our business to anything but authentic French establishments. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the adventure if we 'go native' in my view.

So, who is up for it. :aidan A smallish ride, this one, no more than 6 or so or we won't be popular in some of the smaller places that I have earmarked.

PS And particularly for Whatton -note the black Verdana typeface for the moment - although my 'blue' finger is still twitching. Cheers mate. :thumb2

I had planned this trip for May (see thread here) but, what with one thing or another, the takeup has been pretty thin. :( That said, a lot of interest has been expressed by Tossers in a joining a trip combining decent riding through the minor roads of France and the enjoyment of sampling authentic French cooking and wine. :ChrisKelly

So I have cancelled the May trip and am rescheduling it for June. This should give everyone a bit more time to 'square the circle' on family/work commitments. The general plan is to head South and cover about 1,000 miles in 4 or 5 days, using principally A & B roads and avoiding motorways wherever possible - a combination of pleasant touring and easy scratching where the opportunity presents. :augie

Where I want to make a difference is in the choice of where the ride eats and stays. As I've worked and played in France since I was a kid, am bilingual and love good regional French food, I am convinced that we can travel the length and breadth of the country without ever having to give our business to anything but authentic French establishments. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the adventure if we 'go native' in my view.

So, who is up for it. :aidan A smallish ride, this one, no more than 6 or so or we won't be popular in some of the smaller places that I have earmarked.

PS And particularly for Whatton -note the black Verdana typeface for the moment - although my 'blue' finger is still twitching. Cheers mate. :thumb2

I have been on two trips OldRascal has organised - one to France. Both excellent :bow :clap and the only reason I can't make this one (or the one in May) is I haven't got the time off :comfort otherwise I would sign up. Sorry mate . But I wish you all the best. :thumb2

What's with the font? :type Not following the crowd ? :cool:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, GreatScott, the pleasure was reciprocated. :D Sorry to hear you can't make it but let's hope that the time off work that you can't get bears fruit and that you succeed in cutting down some of the lowlifes that we talked about over the copious dinners and good French wine that we tucked away on the 3-day. :ChrisKelly

And as for the font, I had a system crash and couldn't be fagged to reset them. All better now though and its service as usual. :beerjug:

Looks good to me

Well it's good to see you still plugging this trip Oldrascal :thumb2

Can't think of a more pleasant way of touring some of France!

Put me down for this trip please :)

Sounds like a good trip and would be very intrested in going if u had any room. Pehaps u could PM me if there were and vacancies.
regards Jim

Gastro Blast

Dude, I'm up for this... I have to admit it, the French know a thing or two about food... and wine. A few days in the company of other Tossers really appeals... but not too many... interrupting a good ride by having fag breaks, and my capacity to remember half a dozen names at the most are severe limitations :D
I'm OK for anytime except the the 3rd week of June :thumb

I agree ballistic, the French can produce some memorable and, in spite of the weak Pound, relatively good value grub not to mention the liquid bit. :ChrisKelly Anyhow, with 4 Tossers expressing interest, it looks like we have a 'quorum' to make the tour viable so I will start to 'flesh out' the trip over the holiday weekend and post the results early next week.

As I think I mentioned earlier, this sort of gastro blast works best with a smallish group so I want to limit the ride to a maximum of 6 - its just much easier to book rooms and the like. So if anyone is tempted who hasn't yet made their presence known, we currently only have 2 places left.

So pipe up there at the back of the room and don't be shy.............:JB

Hi all...........just a quick update.

I've been away for a few days but I am now back and will get stuck in to the details, route and possible dates for the trip. So if you keep an eye on this thread, I should have an update by the week's end. :type

Thanks everyone for the support by PMs - but I am sure other Tossers would like to see who is interested so can you post in open forum unless you are trying to make a date with me. :hug

This could be a great trip, one to look forward to. Time to properly sample local grub and scenery with a good amount of biking,what could be better.

There must be more GSer's from the South West who fancy this trip.

Hello Old Rascle

Would love to come on this trip, but am on my own highly planned trip during the first week in July :eek :bounce1. The 3 day trip earlier this year was a good blast :thumb2 So who has not been before :eek:!! Only joking :drool :JB Have fun.
Scuba

OK, so I make that 4 so far...

oldrascal
fishbird
weavo
ballistic

Any more :nenau

A nice fat, juicy ortolan to the first one to produce a comprehensible sentence containing all the above Tosser's names :augie

Thanks Scuba, yup the 3-day bimble in Brittany was indeed a hoot. :bounce1 Sorry you can't make this one but you do so many trips that we are bound to hook up again. :beerjug:

Ballistic, that's quite aan interesting exercise which I find irresistible. Watch this space. :D

Hello there.. eyed this thread with interest.. Any idea as dates in June? Would need to plan holidays and I know I can't get the 22nd-26th off of work :(

Thanks in advance,
Rob

You asked for it and its too late to stop now: :eek:
As the artillery shell continued its predetermined ballistic curve towards the ship, the gunner was heard to mutter “I hope we avoid bumping into Captain Queeg because that’s one old rascal who would take any life going – man, dog, fish, bird, he has no scruples”.
Now for my juicy ortolan - er, that sounds blissfully like a pubescent Spanish senorina.:rose

Ahem.............:augie

On a more serious note, gr8roberto, I will be trying to organise options on dates and routes by the end of this week. I realise that everyone needs plenty of warning to fit in these illicit pleasures into their daily lives so I will do my best.

Keep an eye on the thread and start salivating about the gastronomic and biking pleasures in store. :ChrisKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom