Norway mapsource route

Markblox

Reaction score
I'm off to Norway in mid June for two weeks and have finished the possible route. I say possible because it may be too much and we can always change it if we want to chill out more. Here is the attachment if anyone wants to share and maybe give better suggestions.

PS The file is too large, however, if you want it just PM me and give me your email address.

Seems I'm not allowed to PM you, but you may mail it to me on thoham(AT)online.no

Norway

Hi, Would love to see your propsed routes in Norway, im thinking of doing some touring there next year either June or July ! my addy is longssb@yahoo.co.uk
Longey

Last edited:
Norway is rather big, why don't you give us a little more details? e.g.:

- Do you have any specific area in mind?
- How many days do you have?
- Picked ferry routes yet?
- Any particular places you'd like to see, things you'd like to see?
- Have any particular interests?
- No gravel, loads of gravel, ...?
- Ride like a bat out of hell all day long, or short days smelling the roses?

Norway is rather big, why don't you give us a little more details? e.g.:

-

Excellent! :clap

Just wait for the reply, "It doesn't look very big on my map"

It's a common problem in the UK, where many people think the UK is same size as Africa. Good luck.

Norway

Hi Guys ,
Sorry im new to this and didnt realise i had some replies !
Ive been to Norway before , so not totaly clueless about its size but not on bike. I was just interested in the routes anyone had chosen or previously done to see if they were of interest to me . Ive been looking and cant even find a direct ferry from UK to Norway so far any suggestions or recommendations ?

Longey

Ferry

DFDS have stopped the Newcastle to Norway route !

You now have to get the ferry to Denmark, ride to the top (~200 miles)and get another ferry to Norway (unless any body can tell me different ?)

:augie:augie:augie:augie:augie:augie:augie

Ferry

Thanks Alan, thats the best way i could find too. Have you done the trip ?

Sorry im new to this

I don't want to come across as rude to you, but since you admit to being new to the forum scene: Before posting, always take time to look around the old posts. Chances are that your question is not a unique one. A quick search will reveal that e.g. the ferry question has been flogged to death already. (Short answer: There are no ferries UK - Norway, you have to go via Denmark.) You will also find posts with lots of travel information, links to Norwegian sites with routes, etc, etc.

Good luck with your planning, and welcome to Norway. I'll be happy to help you plan your route once you have narrowed down the scope some.

Blimey ! Not the friendliest site ive been on or have i just been unlucky with my first post on here ?

Blimey ! Not the friendliest site ive been on or have i just been unlucky with my first post on here ?

The latter, inasmuch as there's a certain etiquette one follows as a newbie to a forum. Introducing oneself helps ease the transition. Searching archives about a query is useful, too. You'll find a wealth of information here and a lot of people willing to share their experiences.

Or do you roll up in a strange pub and start talking to anyone at the bar about your planned holiday? :D

Welcome to the asylum,
Achim

Firstly i havent gone to a strange pub i thought i had joined a friendly Forum of fellow GSers.
Secondly i saw a thread which interested me so i politely asked a question and show some interest.
Maybe if i PM someone next time i wont get the "contol freak" comments

Right first time.
Some will try to help. Others will tell you to do a search.
Say thanks to the one group and ignore the other. Aint no big thing.

Re travelling up through Denmark, yes, I have just done it. It's pretty shit (flat, not much to look at and VERY straight roads), but it's only an afternoon out of your time (unlike riding up from a channel port).
If you take the friday crossing to Esbjerg you can easily ride the most interesting route (i.e. non motorway, parallel to the coast) north to Hirtshals on the Saturday afternoon, in time for the last crossing to Kristiansand which gets in at quarter to one Sunday morning (so perhaps worth booking a hotel/hytte in advance - we just rode on for a couple of hours and kipped at the side of a quiet backroad).

Take a crate/bottle for the crossing from Harwich tho cos the bar is a tad pricey. ;)

More info here:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195999

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Ignore anyone telling you otherwise.

You must have been visiting little old ladies' church forums. I cannot see that you have been met with anything but friendliness, but I suppose you are referring to me. I'm sorry you feel that way, and frankly I feel a bit offended by your remark. If you ask the OP, you will learn that I have spent quite a lot of my time helping him with his route planning. And I would have done the same for you, but only after you have done some effort yourself.

You are asking people to take their time to answer questions that have already been answered over and over, just because you cannot be bothered to scroll down the page. (Yes, the post "Any new info on UK to Norway ferries" is on page 1!) Sorry, but to me, that's rude.

Back
Top Bottom