Zumo 660 first impressions

Yonkyo

Dancing with the Diavel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got my 660 last Thursday and fitted Friday, so I’ve been busy playing around with it.
I have always used the Tomtom Rider systems and I’ve never used the other Zumo’s, so my early evaluation and comparison is:

1 Hardware was simple to install and mount. And seems quite robust (Zumo – 1, TTR -1).
2 Very simplistic to use (idiot proof) with easy to follow menus. I would have liked more config options (Zumo – 1, TTR -2).
3 Bluetooth connectivity good – paired with my iphone and scala headset easily. (Zumo – 1, TTR -1).
4 3d map display and audio directions are clear. (Zumo – 1, TTR -1).
5 Mp3 player is impressive and simple to use. However, the audio quality through the scala is poor. (need to upgrade my headset now) (Zumo – 2, TTR -0).
6 Speed camera warnings are annoying. It also doesn’t tell me the location of the cameras, just that they might be in the area somewhere. (Zumo – 0, TTR -2).
7 Mapsource route planning is very good (Zumo – 2, TTR -1).
8 It comes with a car mount which works very well (Zumo – 2, TTR -1).

P5050017.jpg

P5050016.jpg

Overall: I think I was expecting to much from the Garmin and I feel a bit let down. I thought it would be a far superior product to the TTR2, but its not. Maybe I just need to get to know it a bit more.:augie:comfort

My Score:
Zumo = 10
TTR2 = 9

Unless you like listening to music and using your phone/being shouted at by some silly woman yelling directions,it seems to me that the Nuvi 550 is not far behind,yet costs half as much !!

how much of the screen do you lose when in-
navigation mode. IE when on the move
looks good .:thumb

hope mine turns up soon
looks good

has to be better than my ttr v1 everytime i used it for any period of time it pack up

how much of the screen do you lose when in-
navigation mode. IE when on the move
looks good .:thumb

Ash
That is the navigation screen. Though you can also have turn-by-turn still images or overhead plan view displayed.

P5050022.jpg

P5050019.jpg

Yonkyo who did you order through?

I bought mine over the counter from Bristol Motorrad for £450. I never ordered it. it was just one of those impulse purchases. :drool

Powering the 660

Yonkyo, how did you power the 660?

From the dedicated power supply, hidden away under the beak? If so, does it come with a pre-made lead or did you make one?

If not, where from and how?

Cheers,

Richard

Yonkyo, how did you power the 660?

From the dedicated power supply, hidden away under the beak? If so, does it come with a pre-made lead or did you make one?

If not, where from and how?

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard

I initially wired the zumo in to my accessory socket.
IMG_0571.jpg

However, I have now got the proper lead that plugs in to the aux power supply under the beak. oh and thats the zumo case.
IMG_0574.jpg

It would look better if you'd used silver cable ties..........:thumb

now, now,
I can only blag black zip ties from work. i'd have to buy silver ones at 25p each:eek::toungincheek.

Heres a pic of it in my van:hide

IMG_0569.jpg

Yonkyo, where did you get the the proper lead that plugs in to the aux power supply under the beak and would the 660 fit onto the standard windshield bar thingy behind the instrument panel or is it too big for that?

Yonkyo, where did you get the the proper lead that plugs in to the aux power supply under the beak and would the 660 fit onto the standard windshield bar thingy behind the instrument panel or is it too big for that?

I got the lead from Bristol Motorrad they gave it to me a few days after i got the zumo. pm me if you cant get one.

the bracket should fit on the lower bar, but you might need a longer Ram extension.
IMG_0575-1.jpg

Hi Richard

I initially wired the zumo in to my accessory socket.

However, I have now got the proper lead that plugs in to the aux power supply under the beak.

Hi Yokyo, thanks for the reply.

One last question, if I may, please.

The BuMW lead in the picture has three wires.

Is the wiring up the same as in: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117400&highlight=zumo+lead

Ie.

1 is negative/earth

2 is spare/pulse (can be chopped off)

3 is positive/ live

Any chance of a photograph of the plug at the Zumo 660 end, please?

The only reason why I ask is that if anyone is upgrading from a 550 to a 660 - and already has a power lead made for the 550 - it may (if they are the same) save them making or buying a new one for the 660.

Many thanks. Richard

Hi Yokyo, thanks for the reply.

One last question, if I may, please.

The BuMW lead in the picture has three wires.

Is the wiring up the same as in: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117400&highlight=zumo+lead

Ie.

1 is negative/earth

2 is spare/pulse (can be chopped off)

3 is positive/ live

Any chance of a photograph of the plug at the Zumo 660 end, please?

The only reason why I ask is that if anyone is upgrading from a 550 to a 660 - and already has a power lead made for the 550 - it may (if they are the same) save them making or buying a new one for the 660.

Many thanks. Richard

Same question - going from 550 to 600 so do I need a new connection ?

Just got this... you may want to speak to Bristol Motorrad

Hi,

The items UK release date for UK stock has been pushed back until mid-may, any retailers selling stock will have US stock and warranty issues will occur should there be any problems,

Edit: I personally spoke with Garmin UK today who advised that UK stock has already been released to retailers in limited numbers - GM

Regards,

Please feel free to contact us should you require more info -

T - 0845 644 7727
W - www.handtec.co.uk
O - Live Support Online

Unless you like listening to music and using your phone/being shouted at by some silly woman yelling directions,it seems to me that the Nuvi 550 is not far behind,yet costs half as much !!

sounds like a good idea to me. any pics of one mounted?

Back
Top Bottom