Engine casing corrosion?

gregdyke

Hi all... just out doing a spit and polish job on the bike and noticed that I'm getting bubbling paint around the unused mounting holes in the engine (engine bars & sump guard. It's not progressed much but I was wondering whether I'm the first to get peeling paint? Bike is only 9 months old so had hoped I wouldn't be seeing this for a few years yet! Should I do anything to stop the spread?

Cheers, A

Hello!

I use this stuff (see pic) every time my bike gets wet (after a clean, after a wet ride), it neutralises the salt from the water and thus help to prevent corrosion, I have been told BMW will only cover corrosion as part of the warranty (sp?) if the bike is looked after, so I would recommend this.

fs365_1l_new_label_1878_detail.jpg

+1 :thumb2

24,000 miles and twelve months use and the engine casings still as good as new.

Can't say that about the front hub though where the spokes go in ... maybe I should have used the FS365 on here :eek:

:beerjug:

Hello,

Is it OK to use this product on all engine parts? Ie. are there any parts of the engine where this should not be applied?

Thanks!

Regards,
muthe

EDIT: typo

Hello!

I use this stuff (see pic) every time my bike gets wet (after a clean, after a wet ride), it neutralises the salt from the water and thus help to prevent corrosion, I have been told BMW will only cover corrosion as part of the warranty (sp?) if the bike is looked after, so I would recommend this.

fs365_1l_new_label_1878_detail.jpg

Badly stains exhausts though! How do I know - tried it on my 1200GS - take a lot of elbow grease to get the stains off!

dip

I found the best way to prevent the corrosion issue is to buy 4 sqr metres of plastic sheeting,dig a hole three foot deep,eight foot long and three feet wide,line said hole with sheet and fill with ACF50,256 cans should do it,then when you come back from your ride park your bike in the pit,sometimes a ramp makes this easier although some of the hardy types could just drop in off the side.Care should be taken with small pets and children life bouy would be advisable.....Failing that buy something else......not made of chocolate...:toungincheek

Back
Top Bottom