Brake and clutch fluid change on a Harley?

joff

Hi all,

i bought a Harley again recently...a 2007 CVO Springer with 3,000 miles on the clock...and the dealer serviced it for me but didn't do a brake and clutch fluid change as i requested. I only realised when they sent me the internal sales service invoice.

The General Manager has told me that Harleys do not need a change of brake or clutch fluid every other year...he said that they do not require it for ages. Now...i think that he is wrong...and so do a couple of bike mechanics that i have spoken to...but my local HD dealer told me that they only change it when it starts to look dirty?

What do you do?

I look forward to your replies.

Joff

Hi all,

i bought a Harley again recently...a 2007 CVO Springer with 3,000 miles on the clock...and the dealer serviced it for me but didn't do a brake and clutch fluid change as i requested. I only realised when they sent me the internal sales service invoice.

The General Manager has told me that Harleys do not need a change of brake or clutch fluid every other year...he said that they do not require it for ages. Now...i think that he is wrong...and so do a couple of bike mechanics that i have spoken to...but my local HD dealer told me that they only change it when it starts to look dirty?

What do you do?

I look forward to your replies.

Joff

Why change the brake or clutch fluids every other year unless you suespect water ingress:nenau:nenau

I don't use HD main dealers as I think they tend to be a bit of a rip off :rolleyes:

I use my local independant HD mechanic. The advice I've had from them (and my HD riding mates) is not to worry unless you think there is something wrong. The service intervals on mine are every 5,000 miles and that's when it get's serviced, not every year as with a BWM :thumb

So if the brakes are spongy or the clutch is dragging then get it looked at, if not then just ride it :roll

Oh yes, and post a pic :bounce1

Just had the first year service on GSA and they changed brake fluid. Time was such a thing would only be considered every 10 years or so. Still services did not cost as much as a new car in those days. Yes I know I must be getting old.:rob

Back
Top Bottom