Swiss Alps Tour: Day 2 - Verbier to Zermatt

Magnum

Reaction score
It's time for the second instalment of of what's in store for us during the Swiss Alps Tour in September. So without further ado, may I present Day 2 :thumb2

Swiss Alps Tour: Day 2 - Verbier to Zermatt

day2.jpg

Distance: 244km/153miles
Approx. Riding Time: 5 Hours
Maximum Altitude: 2,365m
Countries: Switzerland (Canton of Valais)
Route: Verbier, Martigny, Saxon, Ardon :augie, Sion, Grand Dixence Dam, Crans-Montana, Sierre, Leukerbad, Tasch, Zermatt.

Overview: A much easier day than Day 1 with around 5 hours in the saddle. It will be completely different experience with plenty of interesting places to visit and many superb photo opportunities. Don't forget your camera :rob

Route Summary: The day starts from Verbier at 1530m in the French speaking part of Valais and winds down to the valley where the road becomes wider and faster for the gentle descent to Martigny. The Rhone valley is very flat through Valais but with soaring mountains either side of you to make up for the relatively boring road. To make the riding more interesting we peel off through Ardon (I can only imagine the photo opportunities), pass through Sion and head up the Val d’Herens. This is a small road that gets tighter and twistier but is simply superb fun. It ends at our first sightseeing stop - The Grand Dixence Dam - the worlds largest gravity fed dam.

granddixence.jpg

The statistics alone are mind-boggling. 285m high and an altitude of 2365m. 200m this at its base, 700m long and weighs 15 million tons. Visitors can go inside the dam but last year we took the cable car to the top and walked across the top of the dam.

You can read more about the Grand Dixence Dam here.

Then we head back down the Val d'Herens, through Sion again and start climbing along some nice twisty roads with a great view down to the Rhone Valley until we ride through the Ski resort of Crans-Montana before dropping back down to the valley floor again through Sierre. Remember, east of Sierre they speak Swiss-German. It is totally incomprehensible :nenau A short bit of flat road before we start climbing again before arriving at the picturesque spa resort of Leukerbad.

burgerbad.jpg

Every day 3.9 million litres of hot water flow from 65 natural springs in this area. There's are a number of public and private thermal baths and the water is between 28 and 43C which might be just the ticket after Day 1's riding :Motomartin

You can read more about Leukerbad here.

Back down to the Rhone valley for another stretch of flat road before we head south along the beautiful Mattertal (valley) towards Tasch. Here we will park our bikes, remove our luggage and take a the short train trip to Zermatt, because the only vehicles allowed in Zermatt are strange electric milk-float type cars and horse drawn carts.

zermatt.jpg

There are a few VERY expensive hotels in Zermatt, this being one of them, but there's lots of other accommodation too and I'll be searching for options next week. It's a perfect place to stay though with beautiful buildings and real character and plenty of places to eat and drink :101 Don't forget of course that Zermatt is very close to the 4,478m high Matterhorn which, providing it is clear, we'll be able to take photos of.

You can read more about Zermatt here.

You can look at the route in more detail here.

So there you have it - Day 2. Good roads, sightseeing, spas and even a train journey. I hope you approve :thumb2

Day 2

Looks good.

From Verbier are you descending via E27, or what looks like an interesting road on Mapsource through Vens?

I assume we have the choice to vary the route according to our own preferences and meet up at lunch, or the various planned stops.

cheers

Gerry H.

From Verbier we take the E27 to Martigny. The road to Vens does look interesting but will take much longer. I can't plot it on Google Maps and I don't know it I'm afraid :nenau

You have total flexibility to do what you wish, as long as we meet up in the morning and eat together at night. Otherwise how will Yoy buy us all expensive wine each evening? :101

there is a fairly new parking in tasch (under cover) http://www.matterhornterminal.ch/welcome/index.php

i spoke with them a few minutes ago about bike parking.... they dont have specific bike bays but they said just use the normal car bays and per bay it is CHF 13.50 per night.

When it is closer to the time ill call them and try arrange to reserve a block of bays so we can park the bikes going across the bays so then its 3 or 4 bikes per bay.

there is a fairly new parking in tasch (under cover) http://www.matterhornterminal.ch/welcome/index.php

i spoke with them a few minutes ago about bike parking.... they dont have specific bike bays but they said just use the normal car bays and per bay it is CHF 13.50 per night.

When it is closer to the time ill call them and try arrange to reserve a block of bays so we can park the bikes going across the bays so then its 3 or 4 bikes per bay.
Yep, that's the place we parked last year. Super clean inside and well lit.

Appreciate the help Rob :thumb2

Just a thought.........I know it's a dangerous thing to do but, are we riding every day or is there a plan to take a break from the bikes for a day and do the tourist thing? :nenau

Just a thought.........I know it's a dangerous thing to do but, are we riding every day or is there a plan to take a break from the bikes for a day and do the tourist thing? :nenau

Kin L 2WH :hide

Back
Top Bottom