Essential G450 modifications

ovenpaa

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for 'essential G450 mods' I ride a combination of road and trail and seem to be falling off quite a lot right now so I guess I need to protect a few bits. (Giving up is not an option)

Now in my day (Many many years ago) essential modifications were things like a tether on the foot brake lever and I was thinking of applying such ideas to the 450. Ideas include:

The foot brake tether of course.
Aluminium plate to protect the side case if the foot brake lever gouges it.
Some general lock wiring
Some form of hard part to protect the radiator
Something over the exhaust header as a heat guard as I am for ever burning my waterproofs.
Some additional fuel capacity (I was thinking of a couple MSR cans on the back)
I have already fitted a couple of lift straps to the front and rear.

No doubt Touratech or Speedbrain do most of these parts but I always used to do it myself in the old days and I want to carry on this way.

So anything else that is de rigueur for the G450X?

why you keep falling?
solve that and theres no problem:augie

im not a technical man so i finance TT and Speedbrain.
But so far my bike is stillstock.(eccept the steer)

Change the rear tyre from the OE enduro tyre to a less aggressive trials tyre, such as an Metzeler MT43 - it transformed my ride to crash ratio.

Otherwise handlebar brush guards are a must fit.

Next suggestion is what to remove as opposed to fit - the (rear) indicators can be ripped off in a tumble. I was also advised by my dealer to remove the horn - that siad, I haven't cos don't want to ake the bike illegal, and haven't found it a problem despite a few tumbles and plenty of deep water splashes.

Lastly, presumably you know the plastic panels (mudguards etc) are subject to a quality recall - mine disintegrated in a tumble, BM acknowledge they're brittle, and replaced all my bodyword foc under warranty.

I would never leave home without my Acerbis Rallye pro's, they have saved my fingers a few times in tight woody stuff :D I immediately bent my horn up at 90 degrees to tuck it out of the way and never had another problem, and I did like the way the indicators can be completely removed including the switch and a quick modification allows the lights to be turned off.

Regarding the plastic's I spent most of last December out in the forests and beaches of DK at temperatures way below zero and they held up well so it does make me wonder if this was an isolated batch thing or all plastic's

Did your dealer swap out the graphics as well?

Mine is an early bike, so presumably later builds come with the 'improved' panels. As an example of what happened, in a single fall the front mudguard ripped away from every one of its fittings and the rear mudguard shattered into half a dozen pieces with nasty shards, like carbon fibre. And yes, every panel and graphic was replaced bike. The bike nows looks showroom fresh - but probably not for long ;o) Thanks to Ocean of Plymouth.

I suppose other 'mods' are more to do with set-up. Change the front cog; in my opinion the gearing is too tall for laning. And dramatically soften the suspension front and rear - you'll find plenty of threads on 'how to' in this forum.

To stop it running away:augie
It's a brake pedal not sheep!

Stops the brake pedal getting levered off when it is dropped and also stops grass/branches and similar getting caught between the brake lever and case. Basically it is just a bit of bowden cable

Lastly, presumably you know the plastic panels (mudguards etc) are subject to a quality recall - mine disintegrated in a tumble, BM acknowledge they're brittle, and replaced all my bodyword foc under warranty.

I spoke too soon, I had managed to break the right hand side cover by 08:00 this morning :( The rest of the bike is looking slightly more second hand as well after a front wheel/rabbit hole interface going up hill in some woods, luckily the barbed wire fence I slid back into saved a serious tumble :D

Back
Top Bottom