XChal rear axle - 26mm or 27mm??

IIRC it is one mm different to the norm :rolleyes: but I cant remember if the norm is 26 or 27. Put it this way KTM/BETA ones are a mm out. I think it is 26mm.

I've been looking for a combined rear axle spanner & tyre lever to minimise stuff in the tool tube.....found one here:

http://www.dirtbikebook.com/acatalog/TyreWheelAccs.html

but, I've just tried measuring the actual size & it looks more like 26mm - is my eyesight failing or is really 27mm?? Which would also explain why they don't show a 26mm available :confused:

Yep - its the one you can't buy!!!!

I found a good quality adjustable that just fits at its most open so that goes in the rack bag.

Its a 26mm they make a 24mm so a little bit of deft filing and all will be sorted.....

I went to my local DIY centre and sure enough they had a 26mm socket sitting on the shelf, cost me about 8 quid mind you!

I bought a 26mm spanner from Camberley auto factors. It was a bit on the long side so I simply cut the open end off and kept the ring end with enough handle to have decent leverage. 26mm is a little on the large side but with a bi-hex ring I've not had any issues with slippage.

Thanks for the responses guys - my objective was to get a combined tool but so far it looks like I may have to go with one of the other ideas.........

Did anyone ever manage to find a 26mm spanner / tyre lever combo tool?

Or is it possible to change the nuts to 27mm? Where from?

how about the motion pro with the socket adaptor ? expensive but part way there :)

Just a thought, but what about getting a 26mm spanner, lobbing the open end in the bin and using a grinder, vise, heat and a hammer to shape the end into a tyre lever?

Can be hardened by heating till red hot and dunking in old engine oil until cooled.

Just a thought, but what about getting a 26mm spanner, lobbing the open end in the bin and using a grinder, vise, heat and a hammer to shape the end into a tyre lever?

Can be hardened by heating till red hot and dunking in old engine oil until cooled.

Sounds a bit of an overkill. Making your own tools to get a motorbike wheel off seems somewhat odd to me.

Changing the nuts to a standard size and using an off the shelf tyre lever/spanner combo sounds a lot easier and less hassle.

Back
Top Bottom