Campsite and Pub recommendations

Crashtel

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here? weather permitting, heading off this weekend to test out camping on the bike with the better half. As its the first time camping on the bike for Carol, with all the questions around:
panniers are not big enough,
will I need to use the mirrors on the bike to do my makeup,
will she be warm enough,
won't the bike topple over with all that stuff and me on it, what happens when we go round corners,
what will the showers be like.......and more

I at least need a good pub to ease the way. Ive put this post up under camping.

Don't think I ever had this problem when I went camping on the bike before but at least she is game for the trip.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186937

We live in Reading so just need a short ride 50ish miles, campsite and a pub. I sure you have comments but anywhere you can recommend that might give a good experience ? comments about giving a bad experience so I can enjoy the solo camping experience have already been thoroughly thought through and discarded.

Looks like rain this Saturday but when you do go why don't you try somewhere on the Isle of Wight which is always a good couple of days away or Sandy Balls (yes really) at Fordingbridge in the New Forest which is a well established and organised site. She'll be fine once you've applied generous amounts of alcohol!

Is Sandy Balls still going, I used to go there when I was a teenager bet its changed a bit since then - they used to allow open fires but all that stuff is closed down in the forest, and rightly so, the forest gets tinder dry these days. Don't know the Isle of wight at all, food for thought for the next trip. At least with Oxford we can just come home if she has forgotten something or its really tipping down. Yes looked at the weather forecast and it looking pretty damp. Still this is the reason for buying the tarp to put in front of the tent, sure it won't rain all weekend....I'm touching a bit of wood as I speak.
Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom