Test rode a 09 KTM 990 Adventure today

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having ridden the updated 09 BMW 1200GSA last weekend and deciding that I preferred my existing 07 model, I decided to try the new and well reviewed 09 KTM 990 Adventure.
2990Adv.jpg

I spent an hour on the bike courtesy of Hyside Motorcycles in Romford http://www.hysidemotorcycles.co.uk and came away impressed. In summary:
positives
1. light and lithe - it feels like a mountain bike with an engine
2. what an engine - yes it vibes a lot more that my GSA but boy does it like to rev and it absolutely howls around the guage, what a hoot
3. suspension - very comfortable and forgiving on standard settings
4. looks - slim and purposeful bike, top notch equipment and build quality
5. comfortable - had no issues with the seat, bars just the right reach and my arms didn't feel as splayed out as my GSA
6. service - Hyside will offer a loan bike and service on a Saturday (they get good feedback on the KTM Forum which is why I choose them over Bracken or In Moto who are closer to me). The guys in sales and service were helpful, straightforward and obviously KTM fans
7. fuelling - none of the chug chug issues with the FI that I've read about on the previous model, smooth in town and easy to filter

negatives
1. screen - poor wind and weather protection vs the GSA
2. service intervals - first between 500-100, then every 4500
3. lack of standards goodies - no heated grips, engine bars, obvious place to add a GPS
4. chain - just being lazy as used to the shaft drive
5. distance bike - didn't feel like, roaring around at 70-80mph was not as comfortable
6. price - ok so vs a GSA at £10,895 on the road its on par but fewer extras and I'm not sure the whole package ie Bike+Dealer+Reliability+Capability is comparable with what I've experienced in five years of BMW ownership across four bikes

When I've read any of the reviews in Two, Bike or TBM, the one factor they all seem to focus on is FUN. And yes I can now see why as the bike does bring a huge grin factor.

To anyone who hasn't tried one, have a go. Have to say I am tempted by the bike but just thinking back to the 4200miles we did in nine days to Morocco back including four days of 750 each across and back through France and Spain, my GSA excelled. I'm not sure the KTM would.

But I'm tempted................:thumb

I had a 950 for a while - they are great bikes - real lovely to ride. Agree with your reservations about long distance. I fitted a touring windscreen and a gel seat and took it on a trip a few years ago to Luxembourg/the Ardennes. It was only about three days in the saddle, but I swear I stood up for about half the return journey! The saddle is a bit narrower than what I'm used to and you feel the pressure points much more quickly.

Oil changes are a PITA! 2 hours 20 mins to change the oil, filter, other oil reservoir, oil screen one and oil screen two, But at least you do get to admire the lovely Austrian build quality whilst you take the bloody tanks off...

A couple of minor points that irritate after a while:

1. Twin filler caps - looks cool for the first few days but very soon becomes a chore at filling up time. Can also get imballance problems with the twin tanks.
2. Limited tyre choice. The Scorpions are a good pair of dual use tyres - but your only other choices are off road. I did find too that the front Scorpion could let go if you push it hard, fast and aggressive, and had to reel it in a few times. They're also tubed, which had me a bit nervy sometimes at high sustained speed motorway cruising bouts.
3. Tank range on the carbed 950 was only about 170 miles (IIRC).
4. Service intervals are too short, as you've already noticed.
5. Dealers are a bit pot luck - you're ok with having Hyside close enough. I used Tri county in Bracknell for a few bits, found them OK but wouldnt want to get any servicing done there. A mate travels 90 mins to another dealer despite Tri county only being 20 mins from him.

I really did like it; its litheness really impressed me compared to my old 1150, and at the time you didnt see many of them about. But ultimately I longed for the GSA, which has a kind of consumate professional assurance about it.

I'd love to see what KTM do next for the Adv though - the 990 and 950 are very similar and need something to lift their sales, whereas the GSA is being sold in its hundreds every month.

Mike

Dealers ..

What's wrong with Tri county?

What's wrong with Bracken, InMoto?

What about KTM centre in Hemel?

What about Premier bikes?

Dealers ..

The London dealers got a bit of a reputation for crap customer service - and iffy mechanical work - so lots of London KTM owners went to the KTM Centre - who have built a reputation for very good customer service and mechanical work.

I had a 950 for a while - they are great bikes - real lovely to ride. Agree with your reservations about long distance. I fitted a touring windscreen and a gel seat and took it on a trip a few years ago to Luxembourg/the Ardennes. It was only about three days in the saddle, but I swear I stood up for about half the return journey! The saddle is a bit narrower than what I'm used to and you feel the pressure points much more quickly.

Oil changes are a PITA! 2 hours 20 mins to change the oil, filter, other oil reservoir, oil screen one and oil screen two, But at least you do get to admire the lovely Austrian build quality whilst you take the bloody tanks off...

A couple of minor points that irritate after a while:

1. Twin filler caps - looks cool for the first few days but very soon becomes a chore at filling up time. Can also get imballance problems with the twin tanks.
2. Limited tyre choice. The Scorpions are a good pair of dual use tyres - but your only other choices are off road. I did find too that the front Scorpion could let go if you push it hard, fast and aggressive, and had to reel it in a few times. They're also tubed, which had me a bit nervy sometimes at high sustained speed motorway cruising bouts.
3. Tank range on the carbed 950 was only about 170 miles (IIRC).
4. Service intervals are too short, as you've already noticed.
5. Dealers are a bit pot luck - you're ok with having Hyside close enough. I used Tri county in Bracknell for a few bits, found them OK but wouldnt want to get any servicing done there. A mate travels 90 mins to another dealer despite Tri county only being 20 mins from him.

I really did like it; its litheness really impressed me compared to my old 1150, and at the time you didnt see many of them about. But ultimately I longed for the GSA, which has a kind of consumate professional assurance about it.

I'd love to see what KTM do next for the Adv though - the 990 and 950 are very similar and need something to lift their sales, whereas the GSA is being sold in its hundreds every month.

Mike

A good seat makes a huge difference. When the Pound was good (and dollar weak) a Renazco seat was a no-brainer. Still a good investment in my opinion.

1. Ive never found the two filler caps to be that much of an issue. At least I dont have to shift a tank bag or anything to get at them - that would annoy me more.

2. Limited road tyre choice compared to 19/17. More choice of offroad rubber though (that said, the choice there is limited by how quickly the HP will strip the knobs off a soft dirt bike tyre). Ive run at 90-100mph for some hours with ultra heavy duty tubes and knobby tyres. Tyres were warm, but never hot - ambient temps were cool though - and I had tyre pressures at 35.

3. Tank range really varies with what kind of riding you do. Stick to a bout 60mph - 4krpm - and you will get 200+ easily. Ride some tough offroad (thrashing it somewhat) - or sand - and that will come down to 100 :eek:

Dealers ..

I searched for feedback on each of those on the UK KTM Forum and Hyside came out on top. Do you have any experience with them?

GSA If your going to rack up miles i.e. 500mile days as it's just another tourer

If you want a hoon that can go off road get a Katoom:cool:

Show us your larger tank and suede seat!

I think they are essential additions to the bike

BTW .. Black is so YESTERDAY ... WHITE is new black :D

I searched for feedback on each of those on the UK KTM Forum and Hyside came out on top. Do you have any experience with them?

Tri county seem like the shop I would like. Simple setup, two owners, one does sales one does service. No one to blame and no corporate BS, like Vines .. but you seem to like them (possibly because you are the target demographic for them)

Bracken seems to be the sort of "monopoly" mentality that manufacturers like BMW, Ducati, Triumph like to build up as a dealer network. You walk in .. you bend over that's it. Otherwise don't buy.

KTM centre in Hemel seem to be like Tri county in that there are two owners, and you deal with them direct on matters of sales and service. No hiding. Seem very friendly when I went on their test ride day. Changed the T&C for me. If I were to change .. I give them a try first.

Why did you not try the 990 SMT?

Back
Top Bottom