Operation Market Garden - 16-20 Sept 2009

I visited some of the Market-Garden sites two years ago (there's a trip report on here somewhere). The main thing that struck me was at Arnhem and the distance from the drop/landing zones to their objective. After crossing the modern bridge it seemed like I'd ridden too far but as it turned out I hadn't ridden far enough.

As usual Major & Mrs Holt do a very good guide book :thumb2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrs-Holts-Battlefield-Operation-Market-Garden/dp/0850527856

Myself, Robmack, Floyd and Whatton popped into the Airborne museum last year.

Truly glad I did:thumb2

Try and go ...

... to the main cemetery for the commemorative service; each local primary school child is assigned a grave to look after, when they file in during the service there isn't a dry eye in the place.

As the father of twins, these are particularly poignant.

Attachments

• Gronert twins.jpg
    Gronert twins.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 500
Try and go ... to the main cemetery for the commemorative service ......

The main cemetery being the one at Oosterbeek ? So that'll be 9am on the 16th then. The night after out post show party. That'll be sobering on so many different levels.

Myself, Robmack, Floyd and Whatton popped into the Airborne museum last year.

Truly glad I did:thumb2

I agree, the Museum at Arnham is well worth a visit....

369874446_k8jGo-L.jpg

369874545_P6Txb-L.jpg

This was spooky.:eek

I have visited many times the area of operations around 30 corps route and Arnhem. Mostly with the army on ceremonies and battlefield tours. Anyway, last September I received an email from an ex serving friend of mine. He said
Nige, type in "Private, We’re paratroopers, were meant to be surrounded" into Google.
This I did. I was at first puzzled by what I found, then suddenly realised it was an entry in the Arnhem visitor’s book, which I had wrote 2 years before. Someone had seen it, photographed it and posted it on the internet. I did contact the guy and spoke to him. Small world init.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthijs/708254345/

Attachments

• 708254345_ed75f6b10a.jpg
    708254345_ed75f6b10a.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 403
http://www.market-garden.info/market_garden_program2009.htm

It's the 65 Anniversary this year. I'm working in Amsterdam the week before so am looking into staying on in Holland for a few days afterwards and visiting the sites.

It's tentative at present (I need to find secure bike parking in Amsterdam first) but is anyone else thinking of going?

If I'm in the country I might be going, but knowing how these things things go on, it will almost be impossible to get to either Ede or Arnhem during the weekend (possible also during the week).

As for parking, can't help with Amsterdam, if you had been in Rotterdam then you could have parked in the garage where I live (public with 24/7 surveillance).

Casper

I went a few years ago and am sorry I can't get on the trip this year.

My uncle Joe Esland went on the original trip. He used to joke when cheap airfares came with Freddie Laker that his flight was free to Arhhem but the reception was quite poor as they landed in a field full of Germans who took them to a holiday camp....

At least he could laugh about it 30 years later.

Back
Top Bottom