Riding down from Wiltshire. Anyone like to join us?

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Jill and I will be riding down to the event on the Friday. If anyone would like to join us 'or even meet up part way there' please let me know.

I haven't made any firm plans as yet, but we'll probably be leaving North Wiltshire (Chippenham area) about 10.AM and hopefully avoiding motorways and the dreaded A303.

Val.

Hi folks
I'll be leaving Swindon later in the afternoon, can you recommend a good route (avoiding Mways / A303) - I dont really know the area, just work here !!
Cheers
Mike

Hi folks
I'll be leaving Swindon later in the afternoon, can you recommend a good route (avoiding Mways / A303) - I dont really know the area, just work here !!
Cheers
Mike

Mike, I've just had a quick look at Google maps, and we're looking at 130ish miles (about 140 from Swindon). I'd suggest, if your not leaving till three or four pm you'd be best taking the faster motorway route.

I'm expecting our route to take us a steady 6 hours or so. Leaving about ten and arriving around four/four thirty.

Val.

The quickest way into Devon is down the M5 but if you cut across from the East you only need to suffer between Jn25 until Jn27.

From Jn27 take the A361 North to Barnstaple. Be warned, this is the infamous road on which the biker got caught at 122mph and sentenced to 6 months. I appreciate that airheads might not reach those speeds but limit is 60 mph and there are various fixed and mobile cameras. From Barnstaple head to Bideford, Great Torrington and then Stibb Cross. This is route if you are in a hurry.

Another option with much better biking roads is to go through Exmoor and head to South Molton. This is also the home of James Sherlock Motorcycles. Provided that you have prearranged it, you could possibly collect any last minute bits you need. Excellent biking roads around here that I regularly enjoy on my GSs.

From South Molton follow signs to Great Torrington and from there to Stibb Cross. It will be signposted from there.:)

I am going to take a slower less travelled route, south of the 303, a few A roads, and some B roads I think, unless it's raining, then it will be a faster more direct route:)

Now not wishing to be pedantic, but this is the old cantankerous section, South of Stibbs cross is pasty country and we do not need to go to Execeter to get to you. You are of course refering to those "southerners" who are to the east......:augie

I'll be leaving Edinburgh around 02:00 on Friday and stopping at my Cousin's place, near Shepton Mallet, for coffee around 10:00.

Depending on when we stop talking (its been a while . . ) I'll be heading South West in the early afternoon.

Maybe I'll see some of you on the road :thumb2.

Bob.

I will be waiting for Tarka or Thunder to pass by and tag on behind, i get lost going to the shops, can always find my way home though:nenau

Back
Top Bottom