Balancing act

carlhowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Gs now has about 4k miles up - and is getting very rough at 4000+rpm. - Time to balance the injectors then.

I used to own a K100, balancing no problem, a 5 minute job. With the GS I have more than one cable, so I guess they will also need doing.

Any one give me 'idiot proof' step by step set of instructions? (don't send me to the repair-manual - reading that is always last resort!

Cheers

Carl

Firstly acquire a Twinmax from JH Motorcycles

The French manufacturer Selectronic also has some info about this unit

This is an extract from the most excellent R1100GS R1150GS Mantenance Manual by Carl Kulow, but you should adjust valve clearances too if you want to be accurate, in which case review the complete document

Throttle Body Sync

Tools
Twin Max or carb stix
screwdriver, flat blade
needle nose pliers
wrench, 10mm
house fans

Note: If you are doing this procedure for the first time, you should seat the brass bypass screw and record the number of turns for each. Return the screws to where you found them. Also make a note of the number of threads at some reference point on the right throttle body cable adjuster. All this is so you can get back to the same starting point if you mess up.

1. Engine hot at the normal operating temperature of 5 bars on the RID.
2. Bike on the centerstand.

Note: If you are experienced with this procedure, it only takes a couple of minutes – including several double checks. If you have never done a throttle body (TB) sync or your TB’s are really out of sync, it could take much longer and you should place 1 or 2 house fans blowing on your engine to help keep it from overheating.

Note: You may need to slacken the throttle body cables. See R1100 Tune Up Manual at http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

3. Warm up the Twin Max to help prevent drifting from the zero calibration setting.
4. Remove the vacuum hoses from the bottom of each throttle body (TB).
5. Attach the Twin Max hoses to each TB, left hose to the left TB, right hose to the right TB.
6. Calibrate the Twin Max by setting the sensitivity to max and then zero the needle.

Idle Speed Adjustment and Balance

7. Start the engine.
8. Turn the Twin Max sensitivity down if the needle is fluctuating too much, but get it back to maximum sensitivity as you do the final adjustments.
9. Adjust the large brass bypass screw on each TB to get an idle speed of ~1100rpm - turn both out, counterclockwise, to increase the idle speed
- turn both in, clockwise, to decrease the idle speed.
10. Adjust the same large brass bypass screw on each TB to get the Twin Max to zero i.e. to balance the TB’s at idle. You can turn just one of the screws for a minor adjustment, or both screws in opposite directions if the balance if off quite a bit. The screws should be within ~1/2 turn of each other when you are finished.
11. Shut the engine off and recheck that the Twin Max is still calibrated to zero.
12. Start the engine and double check the idle speed adjustment and balance.

“High” Speed Balance

Note: It used to be recommended to do this adjustment at ~3000 - 4000 rpm or normal cruising rpm where surging would be most noticeable. However, Paul Glaves points out that an adjustment at just off idle, 1200 – 1400 rpm, will be more accurate because any difference between the throttle plates, left to right, will be a higher percentage difference in the airflow and vacuum.

12. With the grip throttle, raise the rpm’s to just off idle, 1200 – 1400 rpm.
13. The Twin Max needle should remain at zero, if not you will need to adjust the right side throttle body cable.
14. Loosen the right TB cable locknut, located just to the left of the right TB, using a 10mm wrench.
15. To get zero at off idle, turn the adjuster on the above cable as follows:
clockwise – moves the Twin Max needle left
counterclockwise – moves the Twin Max needle right

Note: Since the adjustment usually changes when you retighten the locknut, it may be easiest to turn the adjuster a little in the correct direction eg. 1/8 turn, and then tighten the locknut with the 10mm wrench while holding the adjuster with needle nose pliers. Now look at the Twin Max to check your adjustment at off idle. Keep repeating small changes of the adjuster and tightening the lock nut until you have zero at off idle.

16. Turn the engine off and recheck that the Twin Max is still at the zero calibration.
17. Start the engine and do a quick double check of the idle speed adjustment and the off idle (high) speed adjustment.
18. Turn the engine off and remove the Twin Max hoses from the TB’s.
19. Reconnect the vacuum hoses to the TB’s.

Note: For more detailed instructions see R1100 Tune Up Manual at http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

I followed this guide to the letter and everything was bang on. Good luck

City Slicker warbled thus: 19. Reconnect the vacuum hoses to the TB’s.

Umm - vacuum hoses?

Mine has little rubber caps to go on these spigots. Am I missing something?

P

Vacuum hoses are attached to the Twinmax/balancer - you remove the bungs and attach the hoses:confused:

u sure ?

before you wander off down this alley, you need to ask yourself (and others) why a bike that has done only low mileage is acting up. balancing should be unnecessary. I would check the obvious plugs, air filter is the choke on etc !

Bandit: - yes, I'm sure - either that or the M6 has been surfaced with cobbles.

City Slicker: - I have a set or morgan mercury manometer tubes - the apparatus in your method seems different since it wll read zero - mine will do that only when not connected!

Carl:

The Twinmax works by reading the pressure either side of a diaphragm, and showing the displacement - equal pressures = zero displacement.

The mercury gauges read pressure relative to atmospheric, connect up one gauge to each TB, and read off the DIFFERENCE between the two. Otherwise, just follow the instruction as above. Works for me...

Also, mercury gauges don't need to warm up, never need new batteries, and never go out of calibration!
:cool:

BTW - check plugs, air filter etc BEFORE you balance the TBs.;)

Regards

Peter

Back
Top Bottom