Connecting a 660

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've searched and can't find any existing info on this, sooo...

Will some kind soul who understands this stuff post instructions on the best way to connect the zumo 660 to a 1200GS? I know there's this canbus plug thing (which I need to buy) which I could wire (somehow :nenau) into the Garmin lead, but I really don't fancy blowing anything up by getting it wrong.

Or is it exactly the same as the way described in the "sticky" on connecting a Garmin to a 1200GS?

Ta

Malc

I plan to install mine on my 1200GS this weekend.

Since I already have a Zumo 550 installed, all I plan to do is remove the existing cable and replace it with the new cable. I'll have to move the cabling for the autocom as now it will be connected close to the autocom box.

As for wiring I am going straight into the battery like I did last time without problem as I can't be bothered to buy the extra cable and wire that it.

Hope this helps

I've searched and can't find any existing info on this, sooo...

Will some kind soul who understands this stuff post instructions on the best way to connect the zumo 660 to a 1200GS? I know there's this canbus plug thing (which I need to buy) which I could wire (somehow :nenau) into the Garmin lead, but I really don't fancy blowing anything up by getting it wrong.

Or is it exactly the same as the way described in the "sticky" on connecting a Garmin to a 1200GS?

Ta

Malc

I prefer it being wired to the canbus plug at the front by the fuel pump controller, this means the Zumo switches on and off with the key(the can stays live for a couple of minutes after key off which is useful) and it is automatically "fuse" protected by the bike.There are three wires on the canbus socket, Battery voltage (positive,live,+) Negative (O Volts,Earth,-) and the can comms wire (ignore this one). I can't do a pic this weekend but if you're struggling I'm with my bike on Tuesday and can send you pics,colour codes and/or talk you through it.

Cheers lads :thumb Hmmm. Straight to the battery sounds very straightforward (so a big plus!), but having the canbus advantage sounds attractive... From what you've said, Rob, it seems like the sticky on "How to make a Canbus GPS cable for a 1200GS" still holds true.

Thanks again for responding :clap

Well, my local dealer Balderstons were as helpful as ever. Gary, their service manager, has just told me that they cannot supply the canbus plug. He said they're "dealer fit only" and that dealers have been told by BMW that they are not to supply them. :rolleyes:

So, I asked how much the job would be for them to do it - £30 + the cost of the part + VAT. I said I thought I would probably connect straight to the battery, therefore...

Balderstons were just as helpful when I asked how much they could do a pair of Vario panniers for. Generously (seeing as I bought my bike from them) they offered me them for full list price plus the cost of key coding. :rolleyes: A call to Wollaston's saw them immediately offer me a pair for £415 all in. Suffice to say, I took a ride out to Northampton and bought there instead. :thumb

works with Autocom too!

I just wired my zumo 660 straight into the battery today and I also connected it to my Autocom using the same box as for the Zumo 550 and it worked great.:clap

Where did you route the cable mate and what terminals did you use on the bare ends of the zumo lead?

Cheers

Malc

Well, Balderstons might not have wanted to play ball, but Wollastons had no problem supplying me with one of the Powerlet plugs :clap

Bloody good dealer Wollastons. I've had nothing but good service from them.

And the final post in this thread...

SUCCESS! :D

I got the necessary Canbus plug, made up the lead today as per the instructions on this site, fitted it and it all works - thank God. I turned the ignition on and the 660 fired up - yeah, baby! :thumb2 I was a bit worried when I started the engine and a message appeared momentarily saying that external power was lost. But I reasoned that it was probably just cut while the engine started. Significantly, it didn't ask me if I wanted to turn the unit off or continue on battery power.

Hi Rob , would love some advice on wiring in my new 660. I have bought the plug and play cable fro nippy normans but it and the garmin are instruction less ...... DOH

Ralphie

I too bought the plug and play Zumo cable from NN.

Looking at the connection at the zumo end and looking at pics of the mounting I found on the forum, it appears the 550 mount has a connector that the NN cable plugs into. The 660 mount is different and the cable is under a cover. I removed the 4 screws on the cover thinking the cable my plug into this, but the cover is well sealed so didn't want to force the issue.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that this cable is no good for a 660.

I'll hardwire mine now, can't be bothered to mess about anymore with it.

Anyone else know anything??

Steve,

I too want to fit my 660 correctly to my GS1200 Adv. The plug that is advertised on Nippy Normans is for the 550, the 660 has a different sealed lead so the NN won't fit (I don't think they have realised this yet). 2 choices, wire direct to the battery and route lead under tank or buy the BMW canbus plug, approx £8, I had no problem getting one from my local dealer. Connect this to the 660 lead (twist & solder best) and just tidy cable storage up. Been advised against wiring direct to battery as always 'live' and could run bike battery down over time as 660 uses a rechargable bettery (this was from BMW dealer). One thing I didn't realise was that BMW state you should not wire a Tom Tom Rider GPS into the canbus of a BMW (different make I know), apparently causes all sorts of electrical problems if you do whereas Garmin kit is cleared by them.

Sam

Garmin says that the zumo660 internal battery is NOT being charged while the zumo660 is in the motorcylce holder, as long as the zumo is turned off. So there shouldnt be any battery drain.

Back
Top Bottom