Kaliningrad (Konigsberg)

LittleMark

Reaction score
...anyone been?
Can you recommend a good hotel with secure parking?
Any recommended sights?
Is there a recommended crossing point from Poland? And Exit point into Lithuania?

:)

it's reputed a lawless shite hole, so perfect for an adventure / summer holiday. we got close to the border and it looked horrible and smelt of stale piss.

In my opinion it might worth flying in first to research it then do the trip, easier than making a mess of it on the day.

try the HUBB

:thumb2

ah, I leave in a month, and already have the VISA sorted, so no chance to sort out a flight over there for recon. I'll just take the risk, or detour round it when I hit the border and decide. :thumb2

Seems like the only 2 bits worth seeing are Kaliningrad itself and the spit.
I'm off with a german biker (or 3) and these germans seem to be a bit obsesed with the place. :ronno

LittleMark;1877470 I'm off with a german biker (or 3) and these germans seem to be a bit obsesed with the place. :ronno[/QUOTE said:
This is exactly what landed them in deep doo doo in the past as well.Listen carefully for mutterings of "Lebensraum, Ostpreussen etc" and nip it in the bud !!! :augie

LittleMark - did you ever get there?

I went to Svetlegorsk (coast of Baltic Russia + loved it) a few years ago and returned to Poland via the Kalingrad by-pass!! Wish we'd gone in there though.

I was in Kaliningrad last year! :thumb2

The route:
Oslo Norway - Karshamn Sweden - ferry Torline DFDS - Klaipeda Lithuania - the border to Russia at the long island Curonian Spit ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curonian_Spit) http://members.virtualtourist.com/vt/gm/447214 and Neringa - Zelenogradsk Russia - Sovietsk (Tilsit) - Gusiew / Gusev Russia - the border to Lithuania in the east; Kybartai.
Then south to the lake at Vistytis Lithiania, and the border to Poland at Podwojponie.
So in the north of Poland; Goldap - Dobre Miasto - Dzierzgon - Malbork - and ferry from Gdynia Poland to Sweden - and finally Oslo.

Here is my story - in Norwegain! :augie
http://bmw.mc.no/documents/BMW-bladet_3-08_LR.pdf
You can look at the pictures at the link! :p

:) Liv.

Attachments

• 04082008 Kuriske halvøy, to maskiner og skiltet.jpg
    04082008 Kuriske halvøy, to maskiner og skiltet.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 06082008 Zelenogradsk minibankskilt.jpg
    06082008 Zelenogradsk minibankskilt.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 126
  • 13082008 Kanal Elblaski, ser store hjul.jpg
    13082008 Kanal Elblaski, ser store hjul.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 06082008 Zelenogradsk, pizzaplakat.jpg
    06082008 Zelenogradsk, pizzaplakat.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 127
LittleMark - did you ever get there?

I went to Svetlegorsk (coast of Baltic Russia + loved it) a few years ago and returned to Poland via the Kalingrad by-pass!! Wish we'd gone in there though.

In the end... nope. Decided to skip round it as we had a mate along for the first week who didn't have a Visa for Russia. He left us in Tallinn while we headed into Russia proper.

Perhaps I'll get chance sometime. Russia was an interesting place, espesially the local "hells angels" group in Vyborg who helped us out with a dead battery.
:thumb2
Russia09%20331.jpg

Russia09%20325.jpg

Back
Top Bottom