Speed camera warnings

Hustler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I apologise for asking a very simple question but I don't know the answer and I have searched and not found it, so -
If you had a Satnav switched on in the car but with no route set up on said Satnav, would it give you an audible warning for every fixed speed camera that you approached ?
Thank you kindly.

My Garmin nuvi 250 gives warnings whether you input a route or not,,
uses the data base..
Very useful :thumb2

Must remember to update every 6 months or so :thumb2

My Garmin nuvi 250 gives warnings whether you input a route or not,,
uses the data base..
Very useful :thumb2

Must remember to update every 6 months or so :thumb2

So it doesn't pick up a signal from the speed camera itself, which I suppose I sort of assumed / guessed that it did ?

So it doesn't pick up a signal from the speed camera itself, which I suppose I sort of assumed / guessed that it did ?

Sadly not, so you still have to watch out for new MTAs.*

Some routes I travel on give so many false warnings that its value becomes debatable - I've taken to switching the warnings off, most of the time.

* - they're the opposite of ATMs.

The sat nav knows where all the cameras sites are in its 'database' and the satnav clearly also knows exactly where 'it' is at all times even when you are not routing so it just beeps when it knows you are coming to a known camera site.

Thats assuming its a model that has that 'camera' function of course:thumb

With the pocketworldgps warnings you can add in a voice alert, so that instead of the zumo pinging away, I have a very nice young lady telling me, eg "Gatso 30mph" which helps ascertain the speed limit and warn you of the approaching taxmans site.

With the pocketworldgps warnings you can add in a voice alert, so that instead of the zumo pinging away, I have a very nice young lady telling me, eg "Gatso 30mph" which helps ascertain the speed limit and warn you of the approaching taxmans site.

Yes it's the taxman, and his points person mate, I would like to avoid if at all possible.
Thanks for all the advice folks, most appreciated.

Trouble is unless you are religious about updating (easy enough if you're one of the few who've actually paid for the pocketgpsw subscription :augie ) you get loads of false warnings from the likes of removed motorway roadwork camera's. I find this so annoying that I end up turning the warnings off which sort of defeats the object :rolleyes:

Even though I subscribe to the service, I'm not conscientious enough about doing updates so I'm going to let it lapse when the renewal is due. These days I find it's more the mobile vans and opportunistic coppers with handhelds that are the problem - your satnav doesn't know about these and it can lead to a false sense of security.

Some routes I travel on give so many false warnings that its value becomes debatable - I've taken to switching the warnings off, most of the time.
The false warnings you're getting could be mobile locations that don't currently have a unit/van/hair-dryer in place. The Pocket GPS World database has these although you could exclude them if you wish.

As John A. says adding voice alerts, rather than the 'bongs', adds clarity and helps you establish the type of 'threat' you'll be facing/looking out for. I have these on my StreetPilot 2720 so assume that models later than this are all capable of having them.

Back
Top Bottom