Tyres

Magnum

Reaction score
Was chatting to Yoy the other day about tyres. He has some on his SM which he really rates but I can't remember what they were? Avon Roadrunners maybe? ;)

I've just has a look at mine on the MM and they are Michelin Pilot Power - 120x17 front and 180x17 rear. Now that I've browsed the Michelin site the dual compound Pilot Power 2CT looks even better. Maybe when these wear out.

What tyres are you using on the tour lads?

Twas Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Not tres bad.

Doubt if I'll need to change before the Alps (but certainly after :augie), but when I do, I'll probably go for Conti Road Attacks. Heard some good stuff about them hoops.

Second choice would be the 2CTs.

STD Bridgestones for me might need replacing before the trip but i will prob replkace like for like as i thiknk they are a canny tyre.:thumb2

Stumbled on this while searching for tyre threads strangely enough.
Looking for a set for my 990 SM which has 'Scorpion Syncs' on. Mine are about half worn with 1500 miles on them and I feel they are not a particularly good tyre hence looking for replacements. After extended scratching they seem to get too hot?? (poor for ZR rated) and let go :eek: especially the front...it may be my riding style but the front is not wearing well at all, also turns out the KTM does have a reputation for not liking to be pushed on the front end too much and being a bit loose!

My short list so far is..in no particular order:
1/ Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Duel compound Supersport tyre with excellent reputation for grip and on average 3500 mile life.
2/Dunlop RoadSmart. Duel Compound Sport touring tyre. Again duel compound and the MC press really rated this as an excellent tyre for road even on full blown sports bikes.
3/ Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier II. Brand new Duel compound Superport tyre, supposed to have very good wet road grip which normal supersport tyres lack to any degree. First M/C press tests are favourable.

Conti Road Attacks have been falling down the rankings for a considerable time, they are outclassed easily now by newer tyres.

Anyway anything that is duel compound is going to probably be the way to go, should give reasonably wear & excellent grip when cranked over.

Sorry for the intrusion but maybe the info will be food for thought.

Cheers
Adie

Gents....I've cleaned this thread down.

If you two want to air your differences, take it to the rant section please..(in fact, it'll make for an interesting read :eyebrow).spoiling a trip for other people by acting like 5 year olds though does neither of you any credit, and I'll stamp on either if you if it pops up here again ;)

Have a nice day.

Bill

Bill, sincere apologies.

Please will you delete all my posts under the main thread, including links to photos and videos? This is a genuine request, please, not me being petulant.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I'll stamp on either if you if it pops up here again ;)

Feck that:eek:

imagine getting stamped on by a big ginger bloke wearing a pink tutu and plimsoles whit would the nieghbours say:blast

Well look what turned up this morning :D

img1475r.jpg

Very hard to find at the moment. Got them from an on-line retailer in France. Won't fit them until a few weeks before the trip, but can't wait :JB

I'm pondering over tyres, too, at the moment. Looks like I will need some before the trip :mad:

Looking at:

Pirelli Scorpion Syncs (direct swap)
Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs
Pirelli Diablo Rosso
Pirelli Angel STs
Continental Road Attacks
Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs

More than happy with the Syncs, but no deals on pairs or single tyres at the mo, so it makes economic sense for me to get a new pair of something else.

Pity, really, as the Syncs have served me well. 3,800 miles and only just showing signs of 'squareness', but I'm guessing they will deteriorate rapidly now.

Yoy

Ps - Mags - you need to shave your tyres. They old stock? :D

If Nick Sanders can go round the world on an R1 I'm sure I can manage a few gravel lanes on my GSA :pullface

Just got back from an off road weekend set up for GS & GSA's everyone had std gs tyres on , i was totally amazed on what they / we did on such big and VERY HEAVY machines.
Had an excellent weekend i would advise anyone to give a go.:thumbhttp: //www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/IMG_0059.jpg

Take it from me it was a lot wetter and steeper than it looks !!

BUT GREAT FUN:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom