K1300s - jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzus

turnipbmw

Reaction score
Took one out for and hour or so today whilst my fuel level guage was being looked at

(booked 3 weeks ago, 2 hour round trip - didnt have parts so have to do it all over again )

What a fcuking machine

I know 170 bhp is a lot but you just dont realise what it feels like.

demo bike has gear assist and switchable suspension.

contrary to road tests, I found the gear assist fantastic - sounds like an F1 car when you are changing at full throttle and really works.

Unyet the suspension was pointless.

comfort option was fine at all speeds (and I mean all speeds)

sport made the bike choppy (one up anyway) may be ok on track but you would know if you were going on track and adjust by hand anyway.

Although it looks long, the bike changed direction easily and could be flicked into roundabouts / slow corners like a GS

Brakes are reported to be best available and I was very impressed.

braking into roundabouts at the end of long straights left me needing to let them off and re apply throttle.

engine is really smooth, I was riding by ear to GS redline engine speeds and the bike was stupidly quick

then I took it to its redline - it was like the old days riding a Jota amongst Austin Cambridges.

Fairly quick modern cars seemd like milk floats

I stopped for petrol and was convinced someone would pull in and chin me.

Constantly expected to see Blue lights in mirrors.

Riding postion was spot on for me.

I would buy one of these if I felt it was time to die

(and take out maximum life insurance for my kids)

GS felt like a wobbly, gutless old nail on way home

:thumb:thumb:thumb

Got to disagree about the suspension I've got an old slow k1200s and when you push hard you can really feel it start to wash on the softer settings, so as it used to say on my report card "must try harder" :eek: next time they are fixing yours......

I test rode the 1200 when they first came out and ripped the peak off my TourX on the A50 - they are quite quick aren't they :augie

Andres

I've got the GS booked in for a service in a couple of weeks. I'm frighted if they lend me a K13 I might not be able to resist temptation.....

Tried the K1200R a couple of years ago :eek:

30mph in 3rd gear then wound the throttle on, ferking ell. What a licence shredder if not used carefully.

I too was seduced by the speed and power of the new K1300's, couldn't justify the extra money but dealer had a mint 1200GT around same value as my GSA. Sooo I did the deal (despite loving the GSA) and started regreting it from day 1:(

In the 'real' world of my daily commute the K was a pain to ride, clutch, gearbox, throttle control all horrible. Wife hated the exposed pillion position and I just didn't enjoy riding it (except for those long, open, empty stretches of road where you can really make progress in 3rd and 4th gear:D)

Moral of the story is if you're in the market for a new bike, do your demo rides on the roads you will be riding on the most, not just the ones that are fun.

Bikes now gone and I'm back on a boxer, just as quick in the real world and a much better all rounder IMHO.

I bought a K1200S after a test ride - had the same effect on me as most others, but I did do the small local Devon lanes on it on the test ride, just to make sure that 167bhp and gravel were compatible...

Sold the bike 9 months later - thought it was the most incredible bike I have ever owned, but it was too fragile (brakes kept failing due to stupid stuff, bent a rim on nothing at all) and licence threateningly fast - i was riding like a tw4t everywhere.

1150GSA now, and happy!

My GSA was in for a FD change a few weeks back and the only bike they had to give was as K1300s (who was I to complain), right..... fast.

But still happy getting my GSA back, more fun in the long run.

Casper

Back
Top Bottom