going in circles with Garmin support

guk

Been lurking since buying my gsa a month ago...thanks for all the tips and advice :beerjug:

But on to the reason for the post. I'm heading to Canada at the end of the month for a coast to coast trip :bounce1 And after reading some reviews of Rider vs Zumo, I opted for the Zumo 660 (Europe). Order via Amazon, along with a couple of 4GB cards. So far, so good. Once everything arrived and I installed (the many) apps on my Mac, I then went to the Garmin site and downloaded the US and Canada maps.

Now this is where the problems start. I have RoadMap installed on my Mac (I believe that MapSource is PC based) so I chose the download option, only to find that I cannot see the US map on RoadMap :mad: US map is installed on the Zumo, but not in RoadTrip.

There is a "Garmin and the Mac" page on the Garmin Website which does not list MapSource but RoadMap. So, I phoned Garmin support and they said I need MapSource (and that I should have phoned them before I purchased it!!!). I asked if I could purchase MapSource - they said only if I buy the DVD US maps!!! :mad: I asked to speak to a supervisor - they never phoned back. The next day, after 1.5 hours arguing on the phone (and finally speaking to a supervisor) there response was basically "Tough". However, they said that if I got a copy of the installation DVD, they would send me an unlock code (would MY unlock code not work?). I asked if this was not piracy and he assured me that it wasn't - but that they would NOT send me the DVD, but they would send me an unlock code :nenau Additionally, they now say that I require RoadTrip. So what is it???

So (finally :augie) two questions:

1. Is it MapSource or RoadTrip that I need to run on my Mac (OSX 10.5)?
2. Can anyone supply me with a copy of the install DVD (City Nav North America NT 2010)? It MUST be 2010 - he said that the unlock code would only work for this.
3. Okay three questions. Would my unlock code for my downloaded 2010 US maps not work?

For the record, I have been speaking/mailing Graeme Ball(European Product Support Associate - Garmin (Europe) Ltd)

Sorry for such a long post..... but I'm trying to plan a draft route before going. It looks like a paper map would be more efficient (and cheaper!!!):mad:

Anyway, great site :bow And roll on the Canada :JB

Attempting an answer to Q1.

To the best of my knowledge, MapSource and RoadTrip are roughly equivalent products for the PC and Mac respectively. So you need RoadTrip for OS X 10.5

There are at least four different OS X programs for various functions. (Info from the Road Trip download page...)

• RoadTrip allows you to transfer waypoints, tracks, and routes between your Mac and Garmin device and manage your data using your Garmin maps. RoadTrip provides the ability to search for points of interest from the convenience of your Mac and then send the locations to your Garmin GPS.
  • The included utility MapManager copies maps and unlock codes into the right place to be accessible by RoadTrip and MapInstall (I think this is downloaded with RoadTrip as well).
  • To migrate the maps from your Windows PC, download MapConverter onto your PC and follow the instructions.

Thanks RobRoy, I already have RoadTrip installed with the European maps. What Garmin are saying is that I need ANOTHER version in order to use the US maps on the Mac (MapManager is of no use in this situation) - and since I downloaded it rather than ordering the DVD, they will not send me the correct version (but as stated, they WILL send me an unlock code)

Thanks RobRoy, I already have RoadTrip installed with the European maps. What Garmin are saying is that I need ANOTHER version in order to use the US maps on the Mac (MapManager is of no use in this situation) - and since I downloaded it rather than ordering the DVD, they will not send me the correct version (but as stated, they WILL send me an unlock code)

As far as I know you can have multible maps installed to use with RoadTrip (they all end up in ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/...), you need MapManager to install and unlock the map for use on the GPS.

Have you tried calling Garmin support in the US?

Casper

As far as I know you can have multible maps installed to use with RoadTrip (they all end up in ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/...), you need MapManager to install and unlock the map for use on the GPS.

Have you tried calling Garmin support in the US?

Casper

Thanks Casper,

Yes, I tried US, they say "You can't copy the map from the Zumo to RoadTrip (different format) and love to help, but we can't ship anything to you. Talk to UK support, or buy the map again - on DVD" :mad:

I tried copying the .img file / renaming it, using MapManager to install it (it says it has - but hasn't).

Thanks NewBoy

JJ (who's also Canada-bound aboard a gsa) has just bought a Zumo 660 and has ordered the US maps (on DVD. Just :augie). So, if Graeme at Garmin is true to his word, I'll get a copy from JJ and an unlock code from Graeme.

So, all set for Canada :bounce1

Thanks for your input :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom