New Tosser and an 1150gs question

simonsm

Reaction score
Hi fellow tossers ( I've always wanted to be able to say that, after all, my wife calls me one often enough!). Having only recently bought my first GS - 1150 '02, yellow, with some toys on it, I have to say I'm completely under the spell and well and truly smitten. Why, why have I not discovered this wonderful game before? Having done just under 1200 miles in the 3 weeks I've owned it, I'm learning its strengths (many) and weaknesses (few so far) quite fast.

As so many reviews have said, that gearbox is decidedly agricultural - and that's coming from someone who has the roughest old manual Range Rover as a logs, dogs and off-roading hack. Having recently added large quantities of molyslip to the gearbox in that, it has changed it from just bluddy horrible to now being quite useable. Does anyone have any experience of doing this to a GS or - any compelling reasons why it shouldn't be done?

Answers gratefully received, thanks.

Looking forward to being a useful member of the GS community
Best.

Simon

Before ...

... adding what many consider to be 'Snake Oil' why not dismantle the gear change assembly, free the little bronze bush from the lever pivot and apply copaslip in liberal quantities :nenau While the box may feel 'agricultural' most of the problems on an 1150 originate outside the box itself :augie

PS: Welcome to the site :aidan

Welcome Simon. :)

This is a pretty common thing on 1150's and is very easily remedied. As Paul says, strip the gearchange assemblyas shown below, clean, grease and re-assemble. Sweet as a nut again in 20 minutes.

A quick search in the 1150 section will help you identify and sort this type of wee niggle easily and cheaply. :)

attachment.php

I'm impressed! Thank you

What can I say? Such good advice and even overnight service as well! I will have a go at the linkages and report. Thanks again.

However, if anyone has any experience of adding snake oil, alligator spittle or Molyslip to a GS gearbox, I'd still love to hear about it.

Best.

Simon

PS Is someone who makes allegations an Allegator?

I tried some in mine once, it made no difference that I could feel, Halfords part synth gear oil is good enough, part of it will probably be technique anyway, I will wager you a pint that after a couple of thousand miles you will be gearchanging far more quietly:thumb2

Stewart

Hi and welcome, i have an 02 1150 and the gear box is clunky. It takes a bit to get used to if you come from a japanese machine. Try to be smooth with the change and make sure your foot is firm with the foot/gear selector when selecting a gear.

It is also worth doing the service as suggested by Aidan so that is out of the way :thumb2

welcome to the site mate, Farnham eh ? i was born in Alton so not far from there.
enjoy the beast mate, regards the clunky box, you will get used to it :thumb

Back
Top Bottom